Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

October 14th, 2008 13:00

Latitude E6500 - Enabling Trusted Execution in bios causes boot failure.

Under the Virtualization Support bios menu I have the following options enabled:

+Enable Intel Virtualization Technology

+Enable VT for Direct I/O

But when I enable Trusted Execution, the system will reboot, pass the POST screen, immediately restart, and then pass the POST screen again and lock at the Intel Storage Matrix screen.

Is this the expected behavior with this bios option enabled, or is it a bios problem?

146 Posts

October 18th, 2008 10:00

What does it say the default factory setting is for that option on or off?

If it says off keep it off and stop trying to mess with things you dont fully understand untill you read about bios options what they do and if the laptop benefits or supports such active functions.

3 Posts

October 18th, 2008 13:00

I understand the technology very well, which is why I am experimenting with it in the first place.

Dell has released a bios update A.06 which enables Intel TXT.  However this is not of much use because the user needs the SINIT AC module in order to actually utilize it.

146 Posts

October 20th, 2008 08:00

And let me guess you dont?

That why I asked what the default factory setting is because even when you update Bios ifthe relevant harware that benefits from activation will be activated by default e.g. befor bios update said factory default for setting off.

if after Bios update its still off that mean you lack the necessary to enable a setting with borking something.

Bios these days are smart Bios that adapt to changes in hardware for instance you dont have a bluetooth module but you add one, on next reboot if you open bios it will show that you have one.

I guess I was wrong it takes more than knowing technology but also how it all works together...

On the other hand thers no harm no foul I cant sit here and say I never experimented with things like that but then I knew less than I though I actually knew. nobody is ever 100% all knowing except those Dell support people they know everything... Not!

Message Edited by X3lectric on 10-20-2008 04:36 AM

3 Posts

October 20th, 2008 11:00

The SINIT AC module is a piece of software which is required to activate the Trusted Execution features of the Intel processor.  The bios option has always been enabled because the system supports this technology, however it wasn't until Dell released A.06 that the system doesn't reboot when this option is enabled.  The bios option only enables Intel TXT to be used, the SINIT AC module activates it.

2 Posts

November 6th, 2015 00:00

Dear X3LECTRIC,

It's seven years later and I wonder if you're still a mouthy unhelpful useless turd.

Enabling that same setting in the most current BIOS of my E6220 causes the same boot loop described by tam.do and I've never run into this on any other system (Dell or custom built). You'd think I'd be able to at least run the diagnostics, but nope...

Anyway, hopefully you've grown up in these past seven years and stopped trolling with silly comments that add nothing to the discussion and shine a glaring light on your level of ineptitude. But I'm not holding my breath.

1 Message

March 22nd, 2017 19:00

9 years later and I couldn't agree with you more, starmonche

September 21st, 2017 07:00

If there was a Trusted Execution module in my fist, I'd use it to punch X3electric in the face.

No Events found!