Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

August 30th, 2010 15:00

Latitude E6510 BIOS A05 = BSOD

Today I downloaded and installed BIOS version A05 for my Latitude E6510.  As soon as it starts to go into Windows, it gets a blue screen of death.  Rolling back was oh so much fun, but it did let me work again.  Only cost me half a day.  Who should I send the invoice for my time to?  I have been using Dell exclusively since 1994.  Given the number of problems I have had with this new machine and the number of problems my coworkers have had with other models of new machines, my next computer will not be a Dell.

Here's the offending BIOS:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&releaseid=R278003&SystemID=lat_e6510&servicetag=DBYGRM1&os=W764&osl=en&deviceid=22212&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=4&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=1&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=411486

Good luck.

-Thomas

2 Posts

August 30th, 2010 22:00

I saw this in the notes of the new bios dload page :

" Note: If your system currently has the A01 BIOS installed, you must install the P02 patch before upgrading to this BIOS. "

did you see that and/or do that ?

14 Posts

August 31st, 2010 14:00

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately that was not the problem.  I was already on A04.

Dell, any comments?

2 Posts

September 1st, 2010 07:00

Same thing happened to me yesterday. BIOS update from A04 to A05 resulted in BSOD on boot. Win7 64-bit. Still don't know what to do, will probably have to roll the BIOS back to A04.

I also found that Dell has gotten sloppy. Seems like new drivers/updates are not tested anymore. I just had another weird thing last week with the free fall sensor driver update, it gives an error message (something about invalid handle) during loading.

14 Posts

September 1st, 2010 14:00

We've been pretty unhappy with things like this from Dell lately.  We just bought four E6510's, and it will probably be the last things we buy from Dell.  Pretty sad, as we've had good luck with using Dell exclusively since 1994, but not so much in the past couple years.

2 Posts

September 1st, 2010 17:00

I booted to DOS and rolled back the BIOS to A04. That did not fix the problem, I was still getitng BSOD on boot! So I started digging deeper. In the end I figured that it's not the BIOS itself, which is just fine, it's the installer. It hooks the boot process so it can write BIOS uninterrupted, and then something gets messed up there. I was actually able to reboot by hitting F8 and choosing Last Know Good configuration.

November 6th, 2010 13:00

Hey guys, I'm copy/pasting my reply from a similar thread.

I have a potential fix for this issue. I encountered this problem on three separate laptops (both my own and 2 others at work), and found that a combination of upgrading to the A05 BIOS and upgrading the video driver appears to have worked. All of my computers were running nVidia graphics cards, and the driver from Dell was not sufficient, I had to download it directly from nVidia.

First, (on windows 7), go to "device manager" and look under "display adapters" to see what video card you have. If its a nVidia model, go to:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

To find your driver.

[If it helps, my computers all had an "NVS 3100M" series, which can be found by choosing "Quadro", "Quadro NVS Series (Notebooks)" "NVS 3100M" "Quadro graphics driver", selecting your operating system, and downloading the file.]

Once your driver is installed, restart your computer, and your blue screen issue should be gone (at least, it has disappeared for me).

Good luck, and hope it helps!

No Events found!