Pavlin
1 Copper

Re: Latitude E6520 Audio Issues

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with my E6520 running on Win7 x64. A sporadic pops occur when I'm listening to music with media player or winamp. These pops occur sometimes each 3-5-10 seconds, sometimes more rarely. I think that these pops occur more frequently when I'm browsing the internet, but I'm not a 100% sure. I will try reinstalling the audio driver and I hope that will solve the problem. I didn't have such problems with my old Latitude D620 which is a very solid machine and sometimes I wish I hadn't replaced it.

0 Kudos
DELL-Nikhil D1
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Hi Pavlin,

Please try checking the audio in safe mode. To enter safe mode follow the below steps:

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Keep tapping F8 on the Dell Logo Screen.
  3. Once the computer enters Advanced Boot Option, select Safe Mode with Networking.
  4. Press Enter.

Check if the computer is doing the same thing in safe mode with networking.

If the problem still persists,

1. Uninstall Audio Device driver and software in Device Manager (check box in uninstall windows) and restart the computer.
  2. update the audio drivers, use the link below for the audio driver: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/latitude-e6520?driverId=T10V6&osC...
  3. Click on the link above, select download file and follow the onscreen instruction to complete the installations.

Try the above steps and reply for further help.

Thanks & Regards,
Nikhil D
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US Customers; India Customers. For Dell Support videos click Here

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

I didn't have such problems with my old Latitude D620 which is a very solid machine and sometimes I wish I hadn't replaced it.

Did the old laptop have XP? We first started seeing all of these issues with audio noises with the advent of Vista. In Vista and 7 the operating system architecture has been rearranged to give audio a lower priority leaving it vulnerable to noise, dropouts and glitching. I don't know how audio is going to be treated in 8 but I hope it gets implemented better than in Vista and 7.

If re-installing the audio driver or trying the native Windows audio driver does not help, maybe something in the Chopping/Skipping Audio FAQ will help. It is a list of solutions posted by Dell laptop owners. I don't have one specifically from an E6520 owner but there are some from a bunch of other E series owners.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
Pavlin
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi jimco. Yes my old laptop was running Windows XP x64. I updated some drivers with Dell update tool and I think the audio quality improved a bit and I'm seeing those audio pops rarer. 

0 Kudos
jeffbx
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Woohoo!  Thanks - I've been looking for a solution to this one for 2 days, and everyone else with this problem seemed to have had to reload windows to fix it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hutchinson32
1 Copper

RE: Latitude E6520 Audio Issues

Jump to solution

Hi Sinatrik,

This workaround resolved my issue.  Thanks for the tip.

0 Kudos