Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 27th, 2013 15:00

Latitude E6520 Docking station USB problem

Hello there,

I dont really belive that anyone is abble to help me fix this problem but ill give it a shot coz this is reallt weaird and annoying.

So i am using an docking station to my dell, it has 5 USB ports (3 on the left and 2 on the back).

Now i am using a logitech wireless mouse. Whenever i plug the usb mouse receiver to any of the left ports, it works just fine. If I use any of the 2 on the back, it lags as hell and it seem to get stuck in every procces action, like moving files over explorer etc.

But thats not the most anyoing thing im expiriencing...

I wanted to make my life esier, so i bought a mini-pcie usb adapter, this one: 

And i plugged my mouse receiver to it- it works great! BUT WAIT, only if laptop is not connected to the docking station! If it is, im getting the exact same problem as i would connect the mouse receiver to the back of the docking station...

I tried reinstalling the root usb hubs but it havent changed anything. This is weird as hell.

I would really aprichiate if someone could help me with this problem. rly.

69 Posts

June 5th, 2013 14:00

I fixed the problem, im not sure if this was the cause, but lemme show what i did:

So at the start, please look at this picture:

The way those 2 slots are populated is not natural- what i mean is that at the beggining i only had the wan card and one slot was free. But, before installing the usb dongle with its card i had to move the wan card from wan slot to sataflash slot and insert the usb dongle into wan slot. Why? See the place i circles (squared?) with red color. This metal border was to close and the dongle was to long so it wouldnt fit.

This way it was buggish and when i turned the switch my mouse wasnt working instead of wireless...

What i did to fix this problem:

I ripped off some of the metal borded using sharp pliers and replaced the cards to the proper slots (wan card in wan slot, usbdongle in sataflash slot).

Everything seems to be working so far.

1.5K Posts

May 27th, 2013 23:00

Hi bremen-pl,

It seems like an issue with docking station itself. If possible try this docking station on a different system to isolate the issue.

Also, let us know the version of windows installed on the system as we might need to update Chipset and BIOS of the system.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

69 Posts

May 27th, 2013 23:00

Yhank you for the reply. This problem doesnt occur when i switch to debian operating system. 

Im using windows 7 64 bit pro.  

69 Posts

May 28th, 2013 00:00

Hi, i have no possibility to use other windows system here. I only have this windows 7 and linux. My bios was up to date and dell menagement engine was up to date too. I cant install the intel chipset driver it says its not for my sytems.

1.5K Posts

May 28th, 2013 00:00

Hi bremen-pl,

Thanks for providing us this information. Please confirm that the issue doesn't occur once you checked on different windows installed on the same system.

Please check the link below to update the Chipset and BIOS drivers from the link below:

BIOS:

downloads.dell.com/.../E6520A17.exe

CHIPSET:

downloads.dell.com/.../Intel_Chipset-Software-Insta_A04_R304291_setup_ZPE.exe

downloads.dell.com/.../SWB_DRVR_ME7P1_5M_7_1_52_1176_A04_setup_ZPE.exe

Kindly perform these steps and let us know the results, so we can advise you further.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

1.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2013 05:00

Hi bremen-pl,

Apologies for the delayed reply. I appreciate the time and effort that you took to troubleshoot the issue.

It seems issue is caused due to corrupt windows driver. Kindly remove the Chipset drivers from the system and re-install using the link above.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

69 Posts

June 2nd, 2013 06:00

As i said i cant install the chipset one. It says its not for my system.

1.5K Posts

June 4th, 2013 03:00

Hi bremen-pl,

Thanks for your reply. You can remove the drivers from the system and then install dell management engine on the system.

As, it works fine on Linux and issue occurs on Windows only then you can try clean re-installation of Windows on the system. Please check the link below which indicates the steps for performing the same:

http://dell.to/15MYHsz

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

69 Posts

June 5th, 2013 12:00

I cant reinstall windows now. Which one shuld i reinstall exacly. Could u show it in device menager or in programs list?

1.5K Posts

June 6th, 2013 04:00

Hi bremen-pl,

Its great to hear that wireless mouse is working fine now.

I appreciate the time taken by you to share the resolution. I understand that the issue was caused due to Mini PCI usb adapter is not installed on the correct slot.

Please mark the correct post as verified answer so other users can also benefit from it. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

2 Posts

November 5th, 2013 07:00

Sandeep, you did not answer why this customer had to install the mini adapter in he first place..   So why is the USB screwing up?  And he is not the only person that has a USB problem.  As users and customers, we buy the equipment and we plug in a mouse or a keyboard.  That's all we do.  if it doesn't work, then Dell is screwing the customer.

69 Posts

November 5th, 2013 07:00

I confirm that the problem still exists. My logitec wireless mouse (thats connected to the USB adapter inside via mini pcie) works correctly only when NOT using docking station (any).

Also, When using Docking station, i had to make workaround for my keyboard and Mouse- I had to get the USB->PS2 adapters, because all laptops USB's dont work at the pc startup (for like 1 minute).

This is really flustrating.

1 Message

November 26th, 2016 11:00

I am having the same issue, which is strange as I have always resolved this E Port Plus replicator issue by installing drivers/updates for the chipset and BIOS. This has worked not only in an enterprise environment but for my home E6520 as well. Could this 'Unsolvable' Issue be from corrupt drivers as stated above? If so, is it a safe practice to uninstall those chipset engines from device manager? I have alot of dynamic libraries that are set up within a specific order, I cannot afford to perform yet another reimage...

No Events found!