Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 16th, 2015 18:00

Latitude E6520 - No Option To Disable Optimus

Hello,

I have an older Dell Latitude E6520 that I decided to convert to a Linux machine. In order to get the nVidia drivers to work properly, I need to disable the Optimus feature so that the discrete nVidia card will be properly accessible.

Unfortunately, there is no option in my BIOS to disable Optimus. I am currently running BIOS revision A19, which appears to be the most recent BIOS update.

Unless I am able to disable Optimus, and therefore the integrated graphics, I will be unable to properly use the discrete nVidia card.

Why is this option missing and what can be done to enable it so that Optimus can be disabled?

Many thanks,

Mr. Bear

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 18th, 2015 17:00

Most of the newer Dell Latitude systems are MUXless -- i.e., there is no physical connection between the nVidia or AMD GPU and the screen.  The Intel GPU is hardwired to the screen -- meaning all video data passes through it even if it processed by the AMD or nVidia GPU. 

Yes, some of the older Latitude E-series had a multiplexed hybrid design with true hardware control -- the newer ones (the E53xx, E54xx, 55xx, etc. and 6-series equivalents) do not.

The only way the  nVidia or AMD GPU can be accessed is by software (driver + control panel).  A BIOS update won't change that - the mainboard is built that way by design.

1 Message

June 18th, 2015 01:00

Same problem here (E5450), my previous laptop (Also Dell) had the option to disable Optimus and Linux did run fine afterwards.

So this option would be very welcome, even if Dell doesn't support Linux op Laptops..

June 18th, 2015 16:00

A gentle bump in hopes that someone will see this thread.

I have seen the E6520 referenced directly in respect to turning off Optimus, so I'm sure that it is possible in some way. I wonder if recent BIOS updates removed the capability. Would it be possible to downgrade the BIOS to a previous version?

June 18th, 2015 18:00

Ah, that's too bad - thanks for the information though, now I know. (o:

No Events found!