Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 15th, 2011 05:00

Latitude E6520 + UEFI Bios = No sound card

Hi there guys I have the following:

- when booting my notebook using Legacy Bios mode the sound card is visible

- when booting the notebook under UEFI Bios, the sound card "disappears"

As a result I have tried DOUBLE Windows 7 Ultimate (64) installation: in Legacy mode all works fine - In UEFI mode, no sound (sound card is not visible in the device manager and there's no "unknown device" in the list).

This could be a firmware bug. I'd like to use UEFI Bios and have the soundcard visible!

Please don't suggest to run diags, as I have said, in Legacy mode the sound card is visible and fully funcrional. BTW I can't run DELL Pre-Boot utilities because I have wiped out disk partitions before installing

My notebook:

DELL Latitude E6520 with BIOS A01

8 Posts

April 15th, 2011 07:00

The notebook has passed the ePSA diagnostics. No problems detected.

My 2 cents:

- A) Some UEFI settings in the BIOS may conflict, technical support should tell how to configure properly

- B) Faulty firmware (A01) - Hope in a quick fix

Whatever, two words from a DELL Technician would help a lot

8 Posts

April 15th, 2011 13:00

Does anyone knows hot to ask for a firmware revision/update?

June 2nd, 2011 10:00

I am having the same problem on a E6420 with A02 and A04 as well. From what I am reading about UEFI vs BIOS, it seems that something is missing from the UEFI to initalize that particular device.

What's also interesting is that I am also having trouble with the GPS portion of the EVDO card installed. The device shows up with a yellow exclamation when I build the system with UEFI.

1 Message

July 21st, 2016 11:00

FIXED!!!

i can confirm that upgrading the bios to a19 fixed this problem for me on a e6520

No Events found!