Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2012 08:00

Latitude E6530 - permanent FAN activity on AC input

Hi,

if i plug in my ac adapter i have a permanent FAN activity. the noise disturbs at work.

if i run on battery the fan still stoped - no more activity.

whats happen?

thanks for help

2 Posts

February 5th, 2013 01:00

On my computer (Windows 7 X64) I found this to be caused by "Power options-->Advanced-->System cooling policy" being set to active when plugged in and passive when running on batteries. I think I'll just keep the setting, the fan doesn't make that much noise when running.

4.4K Posts

October 2nd, 2012 09:00

Hi  intensovwd,

Welcome to the Community,

Try updating the BIOS using the link below :

Note:While updating BIOS,AC adapter should be plugged in,battery should have more than 10% charge and all external peripherals (USB devices) should be disconnected from the system.

If the issue persists even after updating BIOS,run the hardware diagnostics (tap F12 on start up,Dell logo),select Diagnostics.

Post back error code/message if any.

Thank You  

October 2nd, 2012 10:00

hi Roshan,

thanks for your answer.

i have the last bios allready installed, but i will run the hardware diagnostics.

there are any possibilitys to modify the fan behavior in windows?

the last 2 ours i run on battery and the fan is allways stopped. but if i plug in the ac adaptor to load the battery the fan starts..

strange...

4.4K Posts

October 3rd, 2012 06:00

Hi  intensovwd,

Even  if you're using the latest BIOS version,see if it allows you to flash the BIOS with the same version.There is no in built utility within Windows to modify the fan behavior,however there are 3rd party applications available online.It could be an issue with the fan itself as it makes loud noise even if its working with the AC adapter plugged in.

Run the Diagnostics  and try to flash the BIOS.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank You

October 3rd, 2012 09:00

Hi Roshan,

the A03 Bios is allready installed.

the Diagnostic says "all ok - no problems detected". also on the second and third run.

in windows i tested some energy options to reduce the fan speed. acctualy the fan runs on ac adaptor slowly - but i can not turn it off like if the laptop runs on battery.

if i unplug the ac adaptor after 2-3 minutes the fan stopped and the laptop runs noisless for the the next 3-5 hours...

why there's not the same?

tomorrow i will call the german hardware support ;)

thanks for your help

4.4K Posts

October 4th, 2012 03:00

Hi  intensovwd,

It sounds like a connection issue in the system board.

Please private message me your system service tag number.To private message click on my user name,click start conversation.

I will check your system details  and get back to you.

October 4th, 2012 10:00

hi Roshan,

this day my Dell Update Utility shows me a new BIOS: A06

if i went to the Dell Support Center there is only the Version A03...

i have it installed quikly - untill now my laptop is very quiet.

i watch it the next days and give you feedback

2 Posts

October 6th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

I have the same issue with BIOS A06. Fan runs permanent on power and battery.

@intensovwd:

Your problem is solved with the firmware update ?

October 9th, 2012 06:00

hi michipapa,

my fan only runs permanent on power - on battery the laptop is very quiet.

at this time in dont think that the a06 bios is the solution :(

2 Posts

October 9th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

I have a E 5530 before and the fan is noiseless in idle. The E 6530 fan is louder. I thought that is a failure but we have now a second device with the same behavior. So maybe another Firmware is neccessary ..

January 11th, 2013 10:00

hi,

at first - happy new year to all.

Everything is the same as before - the fan is noiseless on battery but on ac the fan runs from time to time very high.

in the last time i worked often at home and from battery - the fan is always off.

:-)

i also hope for an bios update

by

intenso

4.4K Posts

January 11th, 2013 23:00

Hi intenso,

Happy New Year to you too.

There is a new BIOS version A09 released on  1/8/2013.

Here is the link :

Not sure if this will address the issue with the fan noise however  you may try updating and check if it makes a difference.

Thank You

3 Posts

February 4th, 2013 06:00

Hi ! I have the same issue with my Latitude E6530 and I have made update to A09 today, Does not help at all. Noise is very loud and I have hard vibration of the whole notebook. Please advice what to do.

2 Posts

February 4th, 2013 15:00

Same behaviour here. Brand new E6530 with the latest bios upgrade. No vibrations, but fan runs constantly when on ac.

3 Posts

February 5th, 2013 04:00

I have both options in "passive" and I think cooler was not so loud from the beggining, but after one month of fast running it has defect now. Will call to support.

No Events found!