Highlighted
nlyan
6 Indium

Latitude E6540 BIOS update A10 breaks keyboard input

The A10 BIOS update for the E6540, released on the 4th of July, causes severe keyboard issues on Linux. During routine typing, keys will 'stick' until any other key is pressed. The keys that stick vary and seem random: sometimes it's the space bar, sometimes alphanumerics and sometimes, worst of all, the backspace key.

This went on for a couple of weeks, I then noted that the BIOS update changelog included "Keyboard input improvement." and so rebooted back in to Windows 7 and downgraded to A08. I have had no problems since.

I've also had problems with the backlight coming on on its own, after the lid has been shut, but I have not been able to determine if this is a firmware issue. I do note however, that LCD backlight issues have been addressed in this BIOS update as well. My current workaround is to use the possum mode thingy (Fn + B), which turns off all sound and vision.

397 Replies
nlyan
6 Indium

RE: Latitude E6540 BIOS update A10 breaks keyboard input

Bump

0 Kudos
nlyan
6 Indium

Bump

0 Kudos
nlyan
6 Indium

Bump

0 Kudos
nlyan
6 Indium

So no response from Dell on this then? Anyone I can contact more directly?

0 Kudos
nlyan
6 Indium

Bump

0 Kudos
stevenhoneyman
6 Indium

So no response from Dell on this then?

Hi. Did you get this problem fixed in the end? I have an E6540 (A08) and noticed A10 was available, but luckily found this before I tried.

0 Kudos
nlyan
6 Indium

Hi. Did you get this problem fixed in the end? I have an E6540 (A08) and noticed A10 was available, but luckily found this before I tried.

Nope. Completely ignored and I have no idea where to escalate this issue to. You can downgrade to A8 effortlessly if you have issues though (I did).

0 Kudos
Olivier Berger
6 Indium

FWIW, I've experienced the same key repeating issue on my Latitude E6540 too, running Debian Jessie, and the bios downgrade seems to have solved it. FWIW, I had no problem on windows for bios A10.

It would be great if Dell could fix that, indeed.

stevenhoneyman
6 Indium

bump.

A response from Dell would be nice...

0 Kudos