RE: Latitude E6540 BIOS update A10 breaks keyboard input

Good day everyone,

Thank you all for bringing your feedback here. Please keep in mind that the Dell Community Forum is mainly a user-to-user platform. Dell engagement on any one post is not guaranteed. I will most definitely assist with this concern however.

As a result of your feedback here, I'm now escalating this concern within Dell. I'll post back as soon as I have new information for you all. I do know so far that A10 came out with some 'keyboard improvements'. However, these improvements were likely implemented with only Windows in mind.

I welcome any further discussion or feedback on this topic.

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
stevenhoneyman
1 Nickel

Thanks - look forward to a fixed version! Is there a preferred method for reporting BIOS/firmware bugs? I have 2 more in A08...

1. 20 second delay at POST (idle at DELL logo) with an mSATA drive in, but empty modular bay

2. My battery is at 98% health (BIOS), but "current charge" is reported to the OS as the same as "full charge", so it apparently has a capacity of 101%

0 Kudos
afripowered
1 Copper

Hi,

i can confirm this bug on other dell systems running with linux too.

I have a Precision M6800 and everything worked well until BIOS version A09. The A09 changelogs contain the "keyboard improvements" too.

The problem is exactly the same, suddenly hanging keys which repeat the input until you press them again.

A downgrade to A08 helped, problem disappeared.

it would be nice if dell could fix this bug or provide the necessary information to the kernel developers so that they can fix this issue in the kernel.

Thanks!

edit: system used is gentoo linux, kde 4, kernel >= 3.10

Felix

0 Kudos
stevenhoneyman
1 Nickel

Hi,

Yes - that would be nice to get fixed. Unfortunately, there are even bigger problems with their latest efforts:  (link)

0 Kudos
cdiego
1 Nickel

Hi, I have the same problem on Latitude E7440 after A10 or A11 upgrade.

The keyboard repeattttttttt.

With A08 I have double key problems.. (key, keey, keeyy)

Fedora 20, Kernel 3.6.16, Kde 4.14.

I cannot use A08 older BIOS because other problems..

The 'bad' workaround is disable  keyboard repeat in KDE, or x

xset -r

Highlighted
cdiego
1 Nickel

Dell Support, Please fix it.

A lot of linux users have the same problem, even use Ubuntu certified by dell.

0 Kudos
dtcarpenter
1 Copper

Also having continuous key repeat problem on an E7440, though it occurs in a Windows virtual machine running under a Windows host (VMware Workstation 10.0.4). For me, A08 gives me occasional double repeats in the host, but no problems in the guest. I can suppress the double repeats by playing with the keyboard "accessibility" options in the registry. The "keyboard improvements" in A10 got rid of the double repeats in the host, but I now get the continuous repeats in the guest VM. Playing with the keyboard accessibility options in either the host or guest does not help in this case. A11 did not fix it either, so I am stuck using A08 for now.

Hopefully, this slightly different scenario will give Dell more clues as to how to fix it.

0 Kudos
dkambur
2 Iron

Yet another unhappy user of Dell E6540 here. 

Is there a channel to escalate this on?

0 Kudos

Dear Community,

Thank you for your posts and your patience.

I had our department expert on Linux test the Latitude E6540 keyboard.

The test was conducted under the following conditions:

BIOS A10

Each OS was tested with Nano and Libreoffice.

Tested in Ubuntu 12.04.5 with Kernel 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64. No keyboard issues observed.

Tested in arch Linux kernel 3.17.1. No keyboard issues observed.

I'm still escalating within Dell to see what we can do. I'll be in touch.

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
dkambur
2 Iron

Hey Justin,

Thanks for that, but I actually am running 3.17.1 kernel (Mint) and it does show up it's ugly face every now and then - how long did he test this for? It is nothing that shows up immediately and easily - it just pops up every now and then. I managed to type this whole message without a single occurrence of it but I'd not be holding my breathe for too long.

Thanks

0 Kudos