Highlighted
cdiego
1 Nickel

RE: Latitude E6540 BIOS update A10 breaks keyboard input

1) My two 7440 with keyboard issues in A10 and A11 bios: keyboard failureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

A08 also has problemm (Double characters sometimes... windows and linux)

Fedora 20 Fedora (3.16.7-200.fc20.x86_64)  / Fedora (3.16.6-200.fc20.x86_64)

2) Arch Linux Wiki

wiki.archlinux.org/.../Dell_Latitude_E7440

Dell Latitude E7440

Keyboard inputs the same character multiple times on one keypress
Happens with A10 bios. Downgrading to A08 is the only fix for now. Also applies for Dell Latitude E7240.

3) Ubuntu

bugs.launchpad.net/.../1258837

Talking about touch pad, but some people have the same keyboard problem.

4) Arch linux Forum

archlinux.2023198.n4.nabble.com/Dell-latitude-and-keyboard-problem-td4700819.html

0 Kudos
Olivier Berger
1 Nickel

Dear Justin, thanks for conducting these tests, however, as others have mentioned, I guess the problem might not arise immediatly.

In my case, it appeared after a while when in gnome-terminal or emacs, for instance (under X).

It requires some real-life experiment for a few hours with quite a lot of typing on the keyboard (like managing and responding to email).

Thanks for keeping us posted of the progress.

0 Kudos
Olivier Berger
1 Nickel

Guys, while I can imagine the same cause leads to identical issues on several models of Dell laptops which share common hardware and firmware/BIOS, I'm not sure it helps to address problems on 7440 models while in a thread started about 6540 models.

I'd suggest opening a dedicated 7440 thread and keeping both posted whenever significant progress happens on either side.

Just my 2 cents as a user.

0 Kudos
dtcarpenter
1 Copper

On the E7440 using A08, I was able to eliminate the double keystrokes on Windows by following the directions on the second to last post on this page.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19328066?pi239031352=4

It shows how to adjust the keyboard bounce time via the Accessibility options in the registry. I do not know if Linux has any similar options. Worked for me.

0 Kudos
Olivier Berger
1 Nickel

An additional element : as advised by @DellCares (https://twitter.com/DellCares/status/532131986107027456 ) I've installed the A11 BIOS, and the problem seems to still be there.

Though, I noticed it happened after I had suspended the system. Maybe that'd be something to test for in the tests conducted by dell staff.

Also, this happens only when using the laptop's keyboard and not with external USB keyboards, FWIW

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Olivier Berger
1 Nickel

Reverting back to A08, for now.

0 Kudos
stevenhoneyman
1 Nickel

An additional element : as advised by @DellCares (https://twitter.com/DellCares/status/532131986107027456 ) I've installed the A11 BIOS, and the problem seems to still be there.

A11 breaks laptops, as well as keyboards. I don't recommend anyone go near it!

[View:en.community.dell.com/.../20689651:550:0]

0 Kudos
Olivier Berger
1 Nickel

@StevenHoneyman, it didn't brick mine when I upgraded yesterday from A08, to test and report to @DellCares but lots of different settings can be the cause (for instance, I don't have UEFI activated, and only the legacy mode, AFAIU).

YMMV ;-)

0 Kudos
oyviste
1 Nickel

Same problem here after upgrading from A08 to A10/A11 on Dell E7440. Keyboarddddddddd repeatsssssss happening all too often in Linux, many times per day, due to lost key-release events or something (e.g. key is pressed from an OS perspective, though physically released). I even lost data due to backspace repeating and erasing text, and who knows what might happen some day in a root terminal when the wrong key decides stick at the wrong time.   Using Ubuntu 14.04.

I did file a support request under warranty and asked that info should be forwarded to BIOS dev team, since it looks like a regression ("Keyboard input improvement"). Of course, I don't know if that ever happened.

Please Dell, fix this in a BIOS update soon. Keyboard input is too important to mess up. Really.

0 Kudos
dkambur
2 Iron

Actually, oyviste, you flagged an important issue: we can't know exactly when the keyboard will stuck and what key will be (re)produced... I've lost significant amounts of text typed because backspace got "stuck" and I'd have the same fear over Y getting stuck or Enter. 

Dell, can you revert back any keyboard-related "improvements" you done between A09 and A10 and pack us a fresh new A12, please. 

0 Kudos