RE: Latitude E6540 BIOS update A10 breaks keyboard input

@Community,

Thank you for your continued feedback. I highly encourage anyone with this issue to post their findings or feedback here.

I'm still escalating internally to see what we can do.

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
oyviste
1 Nickel

Please note the following when trying to reproduce issue: it isn't necessarily easy to trigger with a few minutes of artificial testing.

However, please try this:

0. Increase keyboard repeat rate in keyboard settings to make problem easier to spot.

1. Focus some program which accepts text input – a terminal, Libreoffice or a text editor.

2. Press a key *lightly* and repeatedly. Stop and do again until it suddenly starts repeating by itself after last key release. (Stopping for a small amount of time between repeated key presses makes it easier to spot problem, since it can occur but easily be masked by immediate next press of key.) Vary timing, count and key pressure if it's not triggering, but keep pressure on the light side. This is the closest I've come to finding a way to reproduce the problem, and I can generally provoke it within a minute.

3. Or: try pressing a key extremely carefully and stop exactly at the time the keystroke is registered. Then hold in that "middle" position and gently apply/release pressure so that more keystrokes are registered. Do until problem is triggered. Neither press entirely down nor release entirely.

0 Kudos
alikov
1 Nickel

Hello,

I have E5540 with Windows 8.1 x64 Pro as primary OS.

A05 BIOS has key repeat issue (thiis iss an examplee )

A07 BIOS (the one with "Keyboard Input Improvement" for this model) fixes issue in Windows 8.1, but introduces key "stuck" issue (exampleeeeeeeeeee ...) in guest systems running in virtual machines. quick debugging shows that keys are stuck, because some KeyUp events are lost.

This happens with various hypervisors (I've tried Virtualbox, Vmware Player, HyperV) and guest OSes (Ubuntu Linux 14.04, FreeBSD10, even Windows 7!)

Again, host Windows 8.1 OS is not affected by A07 "stuck" issue, only guests.

Also, I did not try myself, but I guess(based on previous posts in this thread), that if you run Linux as your host OS with BIOS with "Keyboard input improvements" you will experience same "stuck" issue.

External keyboards work fine with both host and guest systems.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
cdiego
1 Nickel

Hi people,

I did more tests.

In my case, it happens always when I do a fast and soft press in any key.

If I do a hard press in any key it does not happen.

If I have a external keyboard connected to usb port, it does not happen using the notebook keyboard.

cdiego
1 Nickel

> If I have a external keyboard connected to usb port, it does not happen using the notebook keyboard.

Forget this.... if I have a external keyboard connected, if I try to use the notebook keyboard it also happened.... the external keyboard is ok, the notebook keyboard is not ok.

0 Kudos
oyviste
1 Nickel

In my case, it happens always when I do a fast and soft press in any key.

Great observation, this is probably the simplest and best way to reproduce the issue.

A fast and soft/light press triggers it almost instantly here as well. Any key.

Dear Community,

Can you try this?

https://people.gnome.org/~shaunm/ubuntu/a11y-bouncekeys.html

1. Click your name on the top bar and select System Settings.

2. Click Universal Access.

3. Select the Typing tab.

4. Select Turn on accessibility features from the keyboard.

5. Switch Bounce Keys on.

Or has anyone tried this already with A10?

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
cdiego
1 Nickel

Hi, it didn't help.

After wait time / delay, the problem occurs again.

If we do a fast and soft press in the key, even with a higher acceptance delay (bounce keys), then the keyboard looks like it was continually pressed.

When we do a harder press in the key, it works well.

0 Kudos
oyviste
1 Nickel

Dear Community,

Can you try this?

https://people.gnome.org/~shaunm/ubuntu/a11y-bouncekeys.html

Justin C,

How can bounce key prevention help when a key-release event is sometimes lost to the OS somewhere ? Bounce keys does not prevent nor disallow holding a key down to trigger repeating, which is the issue at hand here. And in any case, gnome keyboard accessibility settings cannot be described as a general fix. (And bounce keys makes typing a horrible experience for people without disabilities such has tremors to fingers/hands.)

Or has anyone tried this already with A10?

Yes, it does no good for this issue, neither A10 or A11 help for E7440. Last known good is A08, if you disregard occasional doubble-strookes.

It has to be some kind of serious low level problem with keyboard input, and you need to release a BIOS update which fixes it, because it's just an unacceptable flaw.

As far as I understand, this issue also applies to non-Linux environments like a virtual guest-OS on a Windows-8 host. Please take notice of earlier posts regarding this. Models vary between E5540, E6540 and E7440 and correspondingly also variations in BIOS versions where issues appear/disappear, but the issues are generally the same. I quote them here for convenience:

Also having continuous key repeat problem on an E7440, though it occurs in a Windows virtual machine running under a Windows host (VMware Workstation 10.0.4). For me, A08 gives me occasional double repeats in the host, but no problems in the guest. I can suppress the double repeats by playing with the keyboard "accessibility" options in the registry. The "keyboard improvements" in A10 got rid of the double repeats in the host, but I now get the continuous repeats in the guest VM. Playing with the keyboard accessibility options in either the host or guest does not help in this case. A11 did not fix it either, so I am stuck using A08 for now.

Hopefully, this slightly different scenario will give Dell more clues as to how to fix it.

Hello,

I have E5540 with Windows 8.1 x64 Pro as primary OS.

A05 BIOS has key repeat issue (thiis iss an examplee )

A07 BIOS (the one with "Keyboard Input Improvement" for this model) fixes issue in Windows 8.1, but introduces key "stuck" issue (exampleeeeeeeeeee ...) in guest systems running in virtual machines. quick debugging shows that keys are stuck, because some KeyUp events are lost.

This happens with various hypervisors (I've tried Virtualbox, Vmware Player, HyperV) and guest OSes (Ubuntu Linux 14.04, FreeBSD10, even Windows 7!)

Again, host Windows 8.1 OS is not affected by A07 "stuck" issue, only guests.

Also, I did not try myself, but I guess(based on previous posts in this thread), that if you run Linux as your host OS with BIOS with "Keyboard input improvements" you will experience same "stuck" issue.

External keyboards work fine with both host and guest systems.

oyviste
1 Nickel

Yes, it does no good for this issue, neither A10 or A11 help for E7440. Last known good is A08, if you disregard occasional doubble-strookes.

Just to clarify this: bounce keys accessibility feature does not help at all with A10/A11 key repeat issue for E7440.

0 Kudos