RE: Latitude E6540 BIOS update A10 breaks keyboard input

@Community,

To confirm for you, A13 does not contain any fixes for Linux. The Linux testing was simply not completed in time for the A13 release and they wanted to get A13 out for other reasons.

I will post back with further updates as soon as I have them.

Justin C

Dell Technical Support L3 | Project Sputnik

Dell Support is also on Twitter! https://twitter.com/DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
e5440
2 Bronze

Justin, I own a Latitude E5440 laptop with the same issues, the latest BIOS on the Dell website is A07 and it has the "key stuck" issue - very annoying, at one point I wanted to delete a single email from my Inbox with Thunderbird, and it ended up deleting about 20 messages. This in turn ended up de-synchronizing my home and work (POP3 / IMAP respectively) Inbox folders and caused a lot of trouble, so I'd say this went beyond just annoying.

Hopefully the new BIOS supposed to fix this issue will also be available to download from the E5440 support page?

0 Kudos
bgamari
1 Nickel

Justin, Curbedlarry's point gets to the heart of an issue that I've been frustrated by again and again: The lack of any formal channels between technically competent users and those with familiarity with the actual engineering of the hardware makes it very difficult to bring issues to Dell when they arise. As an open-source developer I understand that it can be difficult to keep the signal-to-noise up on a user-facing bug tracker. That being said, software, firmware, and hardware is inevitably buggy and to not give users some facility to report and track the status of their issues is denying this fact.

This is made far worse by the fact that attempting to contact technical support is an exercise in frustration and generally only leads to vague claims of "limited support obligation" and requests to reinstall the operating system. This leaves the forum as the only place to come, which is a generally a terrible place to organize information for on-going issues.

I hope you can bring this issue up with decision makers in the organization. It's a problem that seems to affect most hardware vendors; it would be nice if Dell could make an effort to improve the status quo.

Highlighted
cdiego
1 Nickel

Hi,

This week, Dell Brazil sent me a special bios E7440I13 (I13, not A13)

the repeat problemmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm disappeared,

*** But the problemmm of duplicatee keyss returnedd ****

It is frustrating.

Dell, please Help US with a definitive solution

0 Kudos
Nick Warren
1 Nickel

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii (that happened for real)

It looks like the Linux guys are having a much worse time of it than the Windows folk (like myself). I've decided to live with the repeatingggggg problem rather than the ddoouubblliinngg problem and so I'm holding tight on A10. In fact, I've held off all updates (firmware and software) for the time being. Everything seems to work fine and as the old adage goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The real interesting thing is how tricky this issue is to replicate. I've tried. I know everyone's talking about debounce and all that, but I can't easily get the problem to recur, at least on Windows 7 Pro. Sometimes a whole day or two will pass without it happening, then the next day it will be a few times. Odd.

I feel for the Linux users.

0 Kudos
eeekjjn
1 Nickel

I find it super easy to reproduce (in linux, don't know about windows). It's all about how long a key is pressed down. By snapping a finger at the keys I can reproduce this problem every time.

0 Kudos
CurbedLarry
2 Iron

The lack of any formal channels between technically competent users and those with familiarity with the actual engineering of the hardware makes it very difficult to bring issues to Dell when they arise.

To be fair the support people I've dealt with have been competent but everything is geared towards hardware or config glitches.  Hence hardware replacement or restoring the OS is the main course of action.

This might cover a lot of user mistakes but driver and BIOS bugs are inevitable early in a machine's life.  It's strange Dell don't want to capture any of this information to improve quality and reliability.  Seems like if your machine boots and isn't on fire, it must be perfect.

I wonder how much of this is down to Dell pumping out too many new machines every year.  My E5440 is totally different internally to the E5430 from the year before and has been replaced after just one year by the totally different E5450.  All engineered in a hurry in the Far-East.

Personally I bought a business-orientated Dell to get a reliable, well supported machine and avoid endless tinkering with drivers and glitches.  Now I'm at the mercy of unsupported proprietary Dell drivers and BIOS.  I should have just bought generic consumer hardware at half the price.

nessunio
1 Nickel

Maybe (?) for DELL the number of Linux users is too small (and/or not interesting for this range of products)

0 Kudos
alikov
1 Nickel

Windows 7 has exactly same issues (keyboard repeat/stuck). But I guess number of Win7 users is similar to Linux users for these machines.

Same for FreeBSD.

The only OS which doesn't have keyboard problems for these laptops is Windows 8 with "keyboard improvements" BIOS. Older BIOSes cause letter doubling even on Windows 8

0 Kudos
daniviga-GEM
1 Nickel

Windows 7 has exactly same issues (keyboard repeat/stuck). But I guess number of Win7 users is similar to Linux users for these machines

Yeah, I just discovered this during a test of my E5450 with the provided Windows 7 installation. It's not only Linux/FreeBSD, but also Windows 7 is affected (double facepalm).

0 Kudos