jasonl999
2 Bronze

RE: Latitude E6540 BIOS update A10 breaks keyboard input

Thought I'd just check in, and reminder about Justin's dishonesty about handling this, though I suspect Justin was just strung along by the management (or, more correctly, what Dell calls management and what we'd probably call under-qualified hacks who only care about making next month's bonus).

Dell should rename their entire line to "Retro" -- slow like 1985!  I am plagued now with the computer in super-slow mode after sleep, requiring a reboot.

Now, where's the emoticon for sticking up both middle fingers?  Oh, wait, I only need one, because my keyboard will double-type it without me even asking.

Dell is the Worst. Company. Ever.  Non-existent support.  Lies.  Deceit.  Totally *** hardware that doesn't work properly.  Can you tell I'm a little *** I wasted more than a grand on their product?

0 Kudos
Cali Duck
2 Bronze

Are you still under warranty? Dell should be supporting this request for you...

I work with Dell Support on a weekly basis and have nothing but good things to say.

That being said, I work for enterprise and all our systems carry 4 year warranties with next-day shipping.

You do know this is a forum and not a support avenue, right?

0 Kudos
daniviga-GEM
2 Bronze

BIOS A07 for Latitude E5250/E5450/E5550 is out:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=DHD06&fileId=3469377694&os...

Now the fix for the double keys is Linux is explicitly stated in the README:

Fixes & Enhancements
Fixes
- Fixed system random wake up failure.
- Fixed TPM item appeared randomly in non-TPM system BIOS Setup Menu.
- Fixed the multiple characters displayed from a single keystroke when typing in Linux OS.
- Addressed PBA issue on SED drive.
- Addressed a specific KVM display failure.
- Addressed Microsoft BitLocker issue.

(but also A06 worked well for me). I'm going to try A07 and report feedback

Cheers,
Daniele

daniviga-GEM
2 Bronze

BIOS updated to A07, for now, on a Latitude E5450 with Fedora 22, everything is working very well. No unexpected behaviors.

Cheers,
Daniele

jasonl999
2 Bronze

Another week goes by with Justin completely absent.  Gee, what a surprise.

I'd like to point out one of my frustrations:  I could have submitted a claim under warranty if Justin hadn't strung us along saying this would be fixed.  Instead, I'm stuck with a piece of *** laptop with no recourse.

Can't help also think of the irony -- a recent episode of Jeopardy pointed out that Michael Dell is worth $23.7 billion.  Related?  Hmm....

0 Kudos
jasonl999
2 Bronze

I am quite pleased that I'm going back to Lenovo and this nightmare will soon be over for me, and that's it for me -- never buying Dell ever again.  Some enterprising souls figure out that you could replace the incredibly-terrible trackpad (which has no distinct buttons) on the Thinkpad 540p with the 550p trackpad (which has 3 physical buttons).  So I have my $50 trackpad ordered, and will be putting it in my Thinkpad 540p which has sat unused for the past year.

My Latitude E5540 which has caused all this frustration will be going back to Windows and donated.

I truly feel sorry for people who have had to put up with this complete lack of quality control on Dell's part.  It's almost inconceivable that this problem still exists to this day, and speaks volumes to just how far this company has fallen.

0 Kudos
Cali Duck
2 Bronze

Highlighted
pf_miles
1 Copper

I'm using debian 8 (jessie) on E7440, A14 BIOS and suffering from the 'double-letter' problem.  

When I tried to upgrade the bios version to A15 using a bootable flash disk, the 'E7440A15.EXE' program complains about 'unable to locate the bios update payload' and I don't know what to do now 😞

0 Kudos