Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2013 15:00

Latitude E6540 - Radeon card simply does not work!

Hello,

I bought Latitude 6540 because of the 2GB Radeon card, just to find out that it simply does not work.

I'm not much of a gamer, but there are some specific games I do play sometimes, for example Portal 2 and Serious Sam BFE.

Neither these two games, nor any other game I have tried to date (e.g. Shadow Warrior, Rage) could take advantage of the Radeon card.

I've updated the drivers and Catalyst to the latest version.

I've set Catalyst to "Maximize Performance" both as default (when plugged in AND when on battery), and specifically per game.

Catalyst monitor reports that the games run in "Maximize Performance".

It doesn't help. The games run worse than they did on my 3 year old Lenovo W510 (which came with an NVIDIA card), and they run exactly the same regardless of whether I set Catalyst to "Force-power saving" or to "Maximize Performance".

I looked in the BIOS for an option to disable the on-board card - but there was none. I read in some forums that newer laptops come with the add-on graphics card attached to the on-board card in such a way that the on-board card cannot be disabled at the hardware level.

I must say that I am extremely disappointed and kind of feel cheated. I hope there is a solution for this, otherwise my first Dell will end up being my last Dell...

March 13th, 2014 23:00

I know you posted this some months ago, but in the hope of assisting you or others with similar issues  I am responding.

Whether you are using Linux or Windows, if you install the latest AMD Catalyst driver, you will have support for your discreet graphics card. There will be no option to enable or disable in the BIOS, as this is controlled by the graphics adapter driver. You also possibly may need to check for appropriate system updates, that will enable Haswell and motherboard specific support to allow the onboard Intel graphics to be turned off, when the discrete adapter is enabled. Note that in Linux, I am aware that proper Haswell processor and Intel graphics support is not really provided until Linux kernel 3.12 and above. Not sure on Windows system versions.

Good luck!

No Events found!