Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

NW

September 6th, 2016 10:00

Latitude E6540 very slow on bootup after Windows 10 Anniversary Update Build 1607

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem after the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

When restarting, my laptop takes 5 minutes (no, that's not a misprint) to bootup. More specifically, that's the time taken from pressing the On button to the time I get to the login screen. I have an SSD drive in the laptop. While I am waiting for this to happen, the drive light is permanently on with no flickering. That's a LOT of drive access / throughput.

From there (logging on), there are no issues. Laptop is fine.

Here's a very weird thing. If I run cmd as Administrator and then run chkdsk /f and then reboot, the laptop (after it does the disk check and reboots again) will start really fast. Like it should. If I then reboot after that, it's back to the five minute thing.

I have tried the following:

• Turned EnableULPS off
  • Tried turning off Virtual Memory or adjusting it to the recommended settings
  • Turning off Fast Boot
  • Taken the battery out while machine is off
  • Updated the drivers from the Device Manager
  • Unfortunately boot logging c:\Windows\ntbtlog.txt does not show log times and so I cannot see where the delay is.
  • Nothing in the Event Viewer since the delay happens before that.

Any ideas? The E6540 is supposedly certified for Update 1607. 

Many thanks.

Kind Regards

Nick

September 20th, 2016 03:00

I have seen this doing the rounds recently, but I think it's merely a sales trick.

threadposts.org/.../Latitude-E6540-very-slow-on-bootup-after-Windows-10-Anniversary-Update-Build-1607.html

The download is for the "Reimage Repair" software trial. Doubt this is going to help at all.

No Events found!