Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2016 06:00

Latitude E7240 Not Starting

Hi,

I recently dropped my E7240 and since then it won't start...

With the battery and power connected, the battery light does 4 orange flashes and then a white a few times, then turns to constant orange flashing... I know that this means that my battery is dead but even without the battery connected, the laptop wont come on.

When I try to switch it on without the battery, the power light turns white but won't do anything else (no CPU fan). When I press it again, the CPU fan whirs for a few seconds and then it turns off.

I've tried swapping the RAM about, reconnecting the SSD and even re-seating the CPU but nothing helps.

Does anyone know if this laptop should boot without a battery (like most others) or if it is dependent on a working battery being present?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 10th, 2016 06:00

The system will boot without a battery unless something other than the battery is bad.  Remove or disconnect the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Remove and reinstall the memory moduls and try powering up on AC only - if it  will, it's the battery that's bad.  If it won't, the repair starts with a replacement mainboard.

2 Posts

November 10th, 2016 18:00

Thanks for the quick response...

I've donel the usual tricks with no joy :(

I suspected that I'd broken more than the battery but I have known some laptops not to boot without the battery so I hoped against inevitably that this was one of those models.

Oh well - spares /repairs on eBay, here we come.

No Events found!