Highlighted
2 Bronze

Latitude E7270 / Windows 10 / Freezing + not waking up.

Hi,

I've recently upgraded my Latitude E7270 to Windows 10 (Clean install). All seems to working ok until a day later.

If the laptop has fallen to sleep, it will not always wake up - it will just provide me a black screen, with the power button alight, and the keyboard alight. I've plugged in to a screen via a direct HDMI but it doesn't pick it up. This will happen on a dock, and off of a docking station.

I have also found on the odd occasion, if the laptop is locked - it will freeze. Will not respond to any keyboard or mousepad motions, including USB.
----
I believe this is possibly a hardware issue, but I can't prove it. However, on the same model of laptop running W10 64bit Pro, they have not had any issues (I built both laptops, mirroring settings)

What have I tried?

- Event logs show no errors.

- I've installed all recommended dell Drivers from the site.

- I've updated drivers manually via device manager

- I've uninstalled video drivers, and reinstalled.

- Sleep + hibernate are enable from the start menu

- on lid close" it's showing as "Do nothing"

- Link State Power Management is 'off'

- I've run on-board dell diagnostics and dell online diagnostics - no errors.

- I've run a sfc check and a mem check - no errors.

- Group policy is not affecting the device either (I've tested with our normal group policy, and then off-domain without policy affecting) - Please note that same model laptop above is on a domain, and they have no had any errors.

-Reinstalled W10 twice... Legacy Bios originally then UEFI.
--

Similiar issue relating to E7270. en.community.dell.com/.../20903656

Am I looking at an hardware issue?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted

RE: Latitude E7270 / Windows 10 / Freezing + not waking up.

Hi MCMTGPLC,

Thanks for posting.

When you installed the new OS, did you install the drivers in the proper order?

http://dell.to/2k7UAVD

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your quick reply.

The drivers were installed automatically by Windows, but when I checked Dell for any updates, I installed them as per the order in the link you provided.. I did this for both my laptop (having the issue) and the other laptop (which is working)

Regards,

Matt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Just had a look against the dell drivers again, and used the auto-detect. Saying that Intel Management Engine Componenets Installer is required.. Downloaded, and checked, but it's already installed. No idea why it's saying I require it still.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

MCMTGPLC,

Not installing the chipset drivers first will cause problems with the computer.  Dell systems need the chipset drivers installed first. In your case, you may have to install them manually rather than the automatic method you described.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Robert,

When installing Windows 10, drivers are automatically installed as standard - by Microsoft. I then install the drivers from dell website in the correct order (chipset first) which should replace the MS default drivers. As mentioned previously, this laptop was mirrored with another laptop during setup (exact same setup, installation package, and drivers installed in the same order).

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Could the installer engine be corrupted?  Here's a link:  http://dell.to/2kiB0po

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

You might compare the devices in Device Manger between the two systems.  I had a system where the alternate GPU was failing and it would not wake up correctly, I had to reboot to get it back.

Run msinfo32.exe and see if any devices show up in the Problem Devices section.

Run the Powercfg -energy command from an admin command prompt.  Make note of were the report goes and copy It o the desktop to view.  Again, compare systems.