Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2013 05:00

Latitude E7440 and USB3 Hard drives

Hello. I've been searching around for an answer to this issue but to no avail. I've got one of the new Dell Ultrabooks; (Latitude E7440) and cannot get my USB3 portal hard drive to work with the USB3 ports. I've also got a new Dell E-Port Replicator (dock) with USB3 ports.

Example of the issue:

• USB3 HDD plugged into any of the laptops USB3 ports - HDD powers up, but Windows does not detect the hard drive being plugged in.
  • USB3 HDD plugged into any of the docks USB3 ports - Same symptoms.
  • USB3 HDD plugged into any of the docks USB2 ports - HDD works fine but Windows reports that it could run faster (ie USB3 speeds)
  • USB3 Flash Drive plugged into any USB3 port - Works fine.
  • All USB2 devices work in all USB ports on the laptop and E-Port Replicator. 

Troubleshooting done:

• Reinstalled USB3 Hub drivers from the Dell website
  • Tested my HDD on another PC (non Dell) works fine on USB3 ports.

Any ideas? I've Googled and find people with similar issues but no definitive solution.

1 Message

May 4th, 2014 07:00

Hi ELPAICO,

Not sure if you ever found an answer to this? I've recently got the same laptop and i must say there are quite a few "power saving" options which are a pain - for example the way Windows disables Mobile Broadband ...

Regarding the USB issue - i had the same problem, what i found to fix the problem:

- From your Power Options -> USB Settings -> USB selective suspend -> Disable all 

- Use the USB port on the back right hand side of the laptop, when you are facing it (not sure why this works though)

Cheers,

Ig

6 Posts

June 2nd, 2015 03:00

You could try this. 

(keywords: regedit devicehackflags)

www.thewindowsclub.com/usb-devices-not-working-windows

(keywords regedit enhancedPowerManagementEnabled)

18 Posts

March 3rd, 2016 06:00

- Use the USB port on the back right hand side of the laptop, when you are facing it (not sure why this works though)

^^^ THIS ^^^

Both my laptop's USB ports are marked with the SS superspeed logo, but only the rear one seems to work as one, or at all.

No Events found!