Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 9th, 2014 12:00

Latitude E7440 black screen after undock

I'm experiencing a problem with multiple Latitude E7440 laptops. the issue is as follows

When I undock from a port replicator, the laptop screen goes black. The screen never returns to a usable state. I must turn off the laptop manually and power back on. This is not occurring 100% of the time but is occurring fairly often. I'm running the latest drivers and bios update.

2 Posts

September 19th, 2014 06:00

1 Message

August 28th, 2014 05:00

Got the same issue, the only workaround I found is initiating the hibernation before hot undock of my E7440.

7 Posts

September 17th, 2014 10:00

Same issue here, disconnecting a beamer leads to a black screen once every two or three times.Even changing screen resolution sometimes has this effect.

Which means I'm afraid to go to customer / prospect presenting something.

Which leads to the conclusion: if not fixed quickly, returned.

7 Posts

February 5th, 2015 15:00

How can you tell if you have the newest Video driver?

I had the same issue and the video driver number is the same (10.18.10.3574) the dell site has a A12 at the end.  After I run the install and restart and check the version it still has the same version number and same date for the driver (4/24/2014).

So is there anyway to tell you have the A12 Jan 15th version of the driver?

2 Posts

April 17th, 2015 21:00

I installed A12 driver as well, seems to be same driver version when looking in Windows 7.

This is big issue for me, I can't present  smoothly when visiting clients.

Right when i plug in projector or boardroom TV into video port my screen goes black.

I cant toggle between between "extend" or "projector only" as screen is black.

If I unplug external monitor cable, I still cant get my display back on my laptop.

Only solution is hard reboot, which does not look good when you only have so much time in front of customer.

Any other ideas?  thanks!

5 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 08:00

Try the following:

Windows Key + R> type "powercfg.cpl"> Choose what closing the lid does>When I close the lid: Do nothing (select this option for both on battery and plugged in)> Save Changes

Or navigate to the control panel via the start menu>Hardware and Sound>Power Options> Choose what closing the lid does>When I close the lid: Do nothing (select this option for both on battery and plugged in)> Save Changes

April 22nd, 2015 09:00

Elwardo, I've been researching this problem as I have a couple of E7440s that are doing it randomly. We've found that people having problems are wearing wristwatches that use a magnetic clasp, and the magnet triggers the "Lid closed" switch inside the laptop. That makes the machine go black, although it's not consistently going to sleep, because the magnet is often moved away quickly so it 'wakes back up' but the screen stays black.

Just curious if you wear a watch with a magnetic clasp. I figured this out when I had E7440s stacked on top of each other in my office and moving them would put them to sleep (or wake them up). I though I was bending something. Started researching more and found magnets are in the lid and a magnetic switch is in the case to tell the bios if the lid is open or closed.

2 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 11:00

I have changed power option, so it never goes to sleep and updated BIOS.

Will test soon, when i have access to projector or large boardroom TV.

I do wear a Samsung gear fit watch, not much metal on it, but it is an electronic.

Thanks for the tips, really appreciate it!

1 Message

December 20th, 2016 01:00

same issue but with unplugging HDMI - laptop screen and HDMI are on, remove HDMI laptop screen goes black

7 Posts

December 24th, 2016 16:00

same issue here, still.

tried with multiple different video driver versions (incl the latest), and yet experiencing the issue. not always, but very often.

usually screen is blank after undocking; or sometimes ok after undock, and then blank after (going to and then) resume from hibernation. it is super annoying.

DELL - please, is there a solution??

(win7 x64; When I close the lid: Do nothing; power settings reset multiple times)

1 Message

January 2nd, 2017 01:00

Anyone know if this above fix have resolved your issues?

Me and a few of my colleagues have the same problem, and we have different Dell Laptops, where the screen is black, but my computer still runs. Since I keep many documents open, I'm not keen on rebooting each time it happens.

I temporarily resolved the issue by removing the external monitor (that sometimes mean un-dock), press Windows +

, press Right button, press Enter, and repeat until I see the screen again, after that I usually finish my work and then reboot.

No Events found!