Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2013 10:00

Latitude E7440 hard drive size? 9MM? 7MM? mSATA?

PCIe?

Can't find this info anywhere.  I have some 7mm SSD drives I want to deploy with these.   However, if it's PCIe, I might go that route too.

26 Posts

November 30th, 2013 02:00

Yes, everything is there because right now the mSATA minicard is connected here. I intend to place it in the dedicated mSATA port, which frees up the SATA port for a HDD : ) The only thing missing is that flat metal frame ...

November 30th, 2013 06:00

what the execly model of e7440 you have? I have the E7440-7840. it came without all the hdd connectors to the board.. thay put it instead the wwan card... :(...I need all thoos parts...  do u have the part namver of thos?

26 Posts

November 30th, 2013 07:00

I'm sorry I don't have the names of those parts. Also where would I find an exact name for the Computer? I thought it's just named E7440 ; )

I looked on Google for the part I'm missing (there is a QR code on the pictures I found online, which I posted in this threat earlier), and there is no info on that part either. Luckily I got the connector and everything else in place.

As to the question if it's PCIe - I truly don't know. How does one find out? I am not too savvy about these things, I realize.

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2013 12:00

Hi,

I'm currently in contact with the Dell Support because of the missing parts in my Dell E7440 for a 2,5 inch HDD.

My SSD minicard 128 GB is placed in the WWAN slot by factory. To attach a HDD there seems to be missing the cable to connect the HDD and a frame to fix it.

I will report the result.

TheTwo 

December 2nd, 2013 13:00

i got connected with dell inisrael.

i'm in the same situation like you "the_two".

i think we need thos parts:

1. HH0YC - sata cable

2. FCN4M - msata cage i think it's olso for the 5mm - but not sure - it expensive alittle but i orderd it just in case... because it will take aproximat 20days to get here...

3. 0WPRM  - i think it's the mettal part above.

i want to add 7mm hdd - i hope it will be ok... if u'll know abput other part or difrent parts pls write me here.

p.s. i also asked to tell dell in israel to reade thos postege and to try to help get the part to who witch can't

26 Posts

December 2nd, 2013 14:00

chenshotokan, this is an EXCELLENT finding! Thanks so much for the effort. Just today I was on the phone with Dell Germany, and they could not tell me a part number for the metal frame. So there was no way of ordering it. The explanation they gave was the computer is so new...

Can I ask you how much you paid? According to this site it's worth 0.60 Dollars, and according to this site it could be sold for up to 32.35 Dollars. Nice margin ; )

December 3rd, 2013 00:00

the nambur of the frame i actuly took from here. from the barcode on the pic in this conversation. u can san it with ur phone app of barcode.

witch Posted byMatzeXXX

when u san it - it's a long part namber.
it caost arount 15-20 dollard i think...
does someone know if i want to install 7MM hdd
do i need also this part?

26 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 04:00

Wow, well done with the QR code! I tried one Android app, but that scan and search didn't lead anywhere.

So, you DID order the 0WPRM metal bracket for about 15 to 20 Dollars?

For your purpose you do NOT need the FCN4M frame. That thing is only needed if you want to use the mSATA minicard with that SATA port. But you are using the minicard in the mSATA port, so there is no use for the expensive FCN4M. That means you need the 0WPRM and the HH0YC (according to your own research).

At least that's what I conclude : )

Cheers!

5 Posts

December 5th, 2013 05:00

Hi,

after three days of waiting I got the response from the German email support.

For a 2,5 inch HDD they recommend the Seagate UltraThin line (320GB or 500GB).

Additionally, they offer me to order the bracket and the msata cable for 26 Euro, but they don't tell me the part numbers.

TheTwo

December 5th, 2013 09:00

i'f u planing to buy the seagate ultra thin - just check if that's what u need.. i think thay 5400 RPM... it's slow hdd. so if u have the msata u can put it in the wwan soket and install on it the windows and the staff that you want to work fast .. and the all the importeat filed witch you don't care so much that will work alos put on the seagate.. if your planing to install the operation on the hdd or you want all your file to work fast - don't buy 5400rpm HDD

5 Posts

December 6th, 2013 04:00

Hi Chenshotokan,

thanks for the advice. It is my intension to use the HDD as data storage and all programs and the OS stay at the 128 GB Minicard that is already installed in the WWAN slot of my system.

I'm currently not sure if I should take a Segate HDD with 500GB  or if an additional 120GB SSD from Crucial (M500) will be enough for my Notebook.

This are the product codes in the offer of Dell:

RoHS:Yes,ASSY,CBL,5MM-HDD, E7440

RoHS:Yes,BRKT,5MM,HDD,SUPPORT,GOLIAD 14

So I can confirm that these "Dell Spare Part Numbers" above are the right ones.

Has somebody verified if this 5mm HDD bracket also support a 7mm drive?

TheTwo

December 6th, 2013 06:00

i don't know abput the bracket support 7mm.. but i know someone have tried to put 7mm in the laptop and it was ok .... and another one tryed and he said hr have alittle problem with the orange came benith it... you'll see this discation in the upper messengest on this forom.

i think for inatlling the 7 millimeter you can use other matirial to place it...

good luck :)

26 Posts

December 9th, 2013 15:00

@The Two:
The two hard disks that were recommended to you by Dell are the 5mm HDD drives Dell is actually installing in this laptop. Even though the space seems fine for 7mm drives, they prefer not to use those.

With capacities not exceeding 500GB a 5mm drive is not very attractive to me. I definitely want to use either a 1TB drive (Western Digital Blue Slim), or I would consider using a second SSD in the laptop.

@Chenshotokan
When you wrote someone had problems with the orange cable and 7mm drives, I think you might be refering to me. But so far I haven't actually HAD problems, because I couldn't install a HDD yet. But I was EXPECTING problems because of that bent cable. But according to user Dariusz.qrek it's no problem to fit in a 7mm drive...

December 10th, 2013 00:00

if u gonna use ssd to save ur data i advise you to read about those disks... if you going to write and erase alot... you shouls backup your data to not ssd hdd.

anyway if you have an iprortent stuff on ur ssd it soukld be backup on another source,

26 Posts

December 10th, 2013 01:00

Well, that would be a new topic, and maybe we should stick to the issue of this thread : )

My answer in short: I don't think the life expectancy of SSDs is shorter even though they have less read/write cycles. The software management of those cycles in fact could make the life of an SSD even longer than that of an HDD.

No Events found!