speculatrix
1 Nickel

RE: Latitude E7440 hard drive size? 9MM? 7MM? mSATA?

Jump to solution

I bought my E7440 off Outlet and didn't need the 3G/WWAN card, and didn't understand what the "msata interposer" part of the specification meant.

Like most people reading this thread, I intended to leave the mSATA card in the miniPCIe slot and fit a large standard SATA drive, and then I found the 2.5" bay had no connector, just a plastic frame to support the laptop base.

I have contacted my Dell account manager at work to see if I can get the cable and the frame, hopefully the price won't be too much. I will be very sad if it is expensive because I could have spend just £90 more and got a similar E7440 but with the 3G card and the mSATA interposer!

0 Kudos
MatzeXXX
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I didn't really know what the imposer was either, but I couldn't uncheck it during ordering anyway, so I got it and the SATA connnector cable without really doing much. My mSATA minicard port came empty, so it was easy to place the SSD there and make room for an HDD. Maybe Dell changed their policy about this and now the imposer (and SATA cable) is left out to save expenses.

I am sorry to say this, but my feeling is you will have to pay a lot for it. Dell asked me for 70 Euros (!!!) for the metal bracket one needs for a 5mm HDD. That's more than I paid for the HDD itself ; )

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I've just received a quote from the Dell Ireland/UK Out of Warranty team for the HH0YC Sata cable - €60!!

0 Kudos
MatzeXXX
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

They are being ridiculous. Either you got an employer who just pays for this type of stuff without asking, or you basically won't have the option. So sorry!

0 Kudos
speculatrix
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I got a quote back with the two items, HH0YC and FCN4M; the quote reads as follows:

RoHS:Yes,ASSY,CBL,5MM-HDD,E7440 = GBP 9.59

RoHS:Yes,ASSY,CHAS,MSATA-5MM,GOLIAD 14 = GBP 14.78

I think I will simply get the cable as I have am fairly sure I won't need the cage

thanks to all those who previously posted helpful information.

0 Kudos
MatzeXXX
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Those prices make more sense. Maybe others, who got quoted way higher prices, can use this info to negotiate down...

In case you want to use a 7mm HDD, not only do you not need the bracket, apparently you can't use it anyway, because a 7mm HDD fills the available space to a degree, that nothing else fits in there : )

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi speculatrix,

is there any chance you could get me a SATA cable along with your own? I could paypal you the money if you could post it on to me.

Alternatively, give me the details of who you were talking to in Dell UK?

0 Kudos
speculatrix
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I was able to order the cable by itself, placed order today, hoping to have it within 10 days.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Not to worry, previous quote was for NBD UPS delivery.  I've since gone with the 7-10 day delivery at  GBP 11.

0 Kudos
speculatrix
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I think if you simply ring up sales and ask to buy the cable, they will generate a quote/invoice, and you can pay by card.

I'll private message you the quote reference, so if you speak to sales you can say "please duplicate quote X".

I am not sure if I got a special price, my employer regularly buys expensive things off Dell - we buy fairly high spec servers costing over £5K!

0 Kudos