Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

August 31st, 2016 00:00

Latitude E7440 webcam installation

Hello, 

I bought a latitude e7440 for a family member a while ago but didn't realize it did not come with a webcam, so my intention is to buy any necessary components to install one. 

I know that I will need to buy the bezel w/ webcam hole (part# 02TN1) and the webcam (part # 7YYT), but I don't know if I need the LCD/webcam ribbon cable (part# D3M6R). 

Do all latitudes 7440 come with the same video ribbon cable, regardless of whether or not the webcam is installed? In other words, if I take the bezel off of the laptop and disconnect the LCD screen, will I find that the ribbon for the webcame is right there, ready to be connected to a webcam? 

Need the expertise of a dell technician. Thanks!

• 

16.7K Posts

August 31st, 2016 11:00

ALEXRAU,

Unfortunately, since the camera is an Option when ordering the computer there is not cable on systems that have no webcam.  Also, the cable listed below is not available for purchase my database is showing because it is a Field Replaceable  Unit  Meaning a Tech is required to replace it. You can call the Dell Spare Parts Department at 1-877-717-3355 to verify.

P/N 1C4W1  CBL,CAM DMIC,7440 Cables and Cords Cable Cabel, CAM DMIC, 7440

Cabel, CAM DMIC, 7440

23 Posts

August 31st, 2016 12:00

Hi Jesse, 

Thanks for the info. I was unable to find anything on the web with the P/N 1C4W1, perhaps because nobody is selling it. But I wanted verify something; is the P/N I provided for the video/webcam ribbon ( D3M6R ) not appropriate as a replacement for the current ribbon? I imagine that Dell would have only one cable for latitudes with a webcam. 

Here is a photo of the D3M6R. The rectangular-looking ribbon is for the webcam.

• 

16.7K Posts

September 2nd, 2016 05:00

ALEXRAU,

That doesnt look like the cable. The cable is unavailable for purchase.

23 Posts

September 5th, 2016 13:00

Thanks for the replies. Here is what I truly think: 

1) There is only one ribbon cable for the Dell 7440, installed in all units, the one that I listed in my previous post, which is webcam-ready. It just doesnt make sense to me that dell would produce two different parts for the something as basic as that (how much are they saving by not including the webcam ribbon in all units?)

If that is the case, then it's all a matter of taking off the bezel, unscrewing the screws holding the lcd in place to reveal the webcam ribbon, then installing the webcam. This should be a very quick 15-minute job. Wouldn't need to disconnect any cables. 

2) Let's assume I'm wrong and I have to install a new/used webcam-ready video ribbon. This would be a far more risky job as, from what I've seen in youtube videos, I would have to take apart many components, including the keyboard in order to replace the existing ribbon. However, as I mentioned, there are video available, so it is still doable.

In either case, the components I would have to buy would cost me less than $30 in total (found them all on ebay), so it's just a matter of do I want to bother with this. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

In the past, the wiring harness used in most Dell Latitude systems differed between models of different screen resolution, display input type (LVDS vs eDP), and whether or not the camera was present.  On some newer models, the cable is the same despite the resolution and it may well be the camera connector is there, used or not.  It's a decision made by the manufacturer at the time -- and like all notebook vendors, Dell isn't the manufacturer - it's an ODM (Dell's major suppliers are Quanta, Compal and Wistron -- though it has used Pegatron and others in the past).

The job is indeed do-able but bear in mind anything damaged in the process isn't covered by the warranty.  On a new system under warranty, proceed with caution.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You would need to arrange this with a computer shop -- Dell does not upgrade systems once they're shipped.  Figure at least an hour's labor plus the cost of the parts with a local shop.

In all honesty, there's enough involved (including the fact that you likely would find a voided warranty in the process) that if you need a webcam, just add an external USB one.  You'll get a better camera in the process and preserve your system warranty.

2 Posts

Kudos for attempting such a far out upgrade.  Everything is available on ebay despite what the nay sayers here are saying.  That being said, I'm pretty sure you're on your on as this has probably never been attempted in human history.  It's probably going to take some trial and error. :)

23 Posts

Suppose I call Dell and schedule a technician to install whatever needs to be installed. How much would that cost, do you think (roughly)? I'm guessing the warranty wouldnt cover this.

2 Posts

Only 30 bucks?  I say go for it!  Worst case scenario it doesn't work out and u resell the parts on ebay.

23 Posts

September 5th, 2016 14:00

Yeah, you can buy them all used for cheap. Ribbon - $5, webcam - $10, bezel with webcam cutout - $12. 

But the worst case scenario is actually that I damage the components as I take them apart.

No Events found!