hfi
1 Nickel

RE: Latitude E7450, E-port 2, U2715H - dual monitors - unstable configuration

Jump to solution

Unfortunately, this firmware update did not solve the problem in my case. Or to be more precise: A few days ago, I started the Dell Command Update utility and it updated a number of applications and drivers plus the laptop's BIOS to version A05. (Even though the A06 had been released a couple of days earlier, the utility only picked the previous version.) This did not solve the problem, but it remained manageable. I then installed the Synaptics update suggested by Turnhout, which appeared not to have been discovered by the utility either. After the Synaptics upgrade, both monitors seemed to be working flawlessly, for several days, until I installed two Windows updates (as per company policy) today. Then the second monitor started dropping out again. So I don't really know if the Synaptics solution would have lasted if the Windows update had not taken place.

0 Kudos
jayfore
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I dock my laptop and run the DVI cable to one monitor and VGA to the other.  This has always worked great for past laptops but this new one has an annoying problem...  Any monitor connected to the dock's VGA adapter will have a subtle but very annoying "jitter" to it.  For example, when you look closely at words you type, or the outer edge of a window, it is not crisp and stable.  It seems to be moving.  It makes me think the laptop is a step down from the E6430 that I had instead of a step up.  I feel like we have a junk video card in this laptop.

So my testing has narrowed the problem to the VGA port when docked (dock is not the issue because it happens both at work and at home, using different docks).  If I bypass the dock's VGA port and connect VGA cable to the laptop directly (via the included DisplayPort adapter), the screen works perfectly.  But of course this sort of defeats the purpose of using a dock because it requires messing with connections.

My next thought is to contact Dell Support and see what they say about this.  To me this is a defect that needs to be corrected.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
hfi
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Yet another update on my specific configuration. After one or more new updates of drivers and bios (I have lost count), new symptoms have appeared. On each monitor, the rightmost one-third of the area consists of three overlaid images: the image that should be there, a copy of the leftmost one-third, and a flickering pattern of tiny triangles. I have reported this to Dell Pro Support. They have confirmed that they have managed to reproduce the problem but they do not have a set timeline for solving it. I suspect this involves a root problem, possibly concerning timing, that may also be involved in similar problems with other configurations reported in this thread.

I fortunately have found a workaround: to lower the resolution and then set it back to full resolution again. It works, but it is a bit annoying to have to do this almost every time I boot the PC in its docking station.

DavidT_5
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am having this same problem but with E7250.  I have 3 users with the same laptop but 3 sets of different monitors.  They are either connected by DVI or DP cables.  All users are on the latest BIOS A08.  I have used the Windows, Intel, and Dell Command Update software and have installed all driver / software updates.  Nothing is working.

The symptoms are one or both monitors will flash and or flicker and occasionally one of the monitors will just go into power save.  I have to reboot the computer to get the monitor back on.

UPDATE - 11/3/15 - I was originally using 2 DP cables, then I tried 2 DVI cables.  I then switched to 1 DVI and 1 VGA cable.  So far, for the past day, the user has been ok.  Keeping my fingers crossed. 

0 Kudos
mr_johna
1 Copper

Jump to solution

At my work we have a number of these E7450 laptops with similar issues.

So you guys are not the only ones.

Some laptops/issues have been fixed/helped by motherboard replacements but others haven't.

We have an active case with support and they are still working on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
decker12
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Please keep us updated on this! I have two E7450s with the same problem - unreliable dual monitor configurations, and it's driving my users and myself nuts.

hfi
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Dell has confirmed that the issue as I have described it has been reproduced and is awaiting a solution. The solution apparently will be to install two updates. The first one is now available: Dell Latitude E7450 System BIOS  Version A08,A08 or newer. The second one is not yet available: Synaptics VMM3320 MST HUB Firmware newer than Version 3.8.0,A02 - and no timeline is available for its release. I am checking it on a regular basis and will report back when I know more.

MBurg013
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I just ran this update (instructions came from Dell support) and it worked. I run Windows 7 and have 2 U2414H monitors connected to a dock with a Latitude E7450. I didn't run a BIOS update so perhaps I already have a current version. This has worked so far to run dual monitors and even allowed me to use the open laptop as a 3rd monitor. Just performed this and haven't experienced issues yet. The update requires a reboot.

I would recommend connecting one display to the dock via displayport and then run this firmware update.

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails;fileId=3482013792&osCode=W764&productCode=latitude-e7450-ultrabook&languageCode=EN&categoryId=VI

This is info found in the install instructions:

** NOTE: If your configuration does *not* include a dock/APR, this update is not required. **

1. The notebook system must be docked and on a/c power.

2. There must be an external DP, DVI or VGA display connected to the dock.

3. The external display will flash during the Firmware Update process due to automatic reset of the MST HUB.

4. Do not undock the notebook system or remove a/c power until the Firmware Update is complete.

After running the update you can either try the display port to displayport and dvi to hdmi connection or try the daisy chain option.

0 Kudos
Splat15
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I’m having the same problems with dual monitor configuration on these newer Latitude e7450 laptops. We have been using these laptops for sometime now but it seems that, recently, Dell decided to update these models with some new wireless card readers and other hardware. We started having all these monitor flickering issues with these new updated E7450’s only. The older E7450's work just fine. I have done everything to try to fix this problem with no luck. Updated the Bios from A04 to A08…. Updated the new video drivers…. Adjusted power options on the Intel video settings… even installed the latest Synaptics VMM3320 MST HUB Firmware Update (Video_Firmware_29D8V_WN32_3.8.0_A02).

Nothing has helped. We have a total of 15 users now that had these laptops deployed to them and they all complain about this monitor flickering. Some can tolerate this but most cannot. We need a fix NOW Dell! I don’t understand why Dell continues to ship out these laptops when there is something wrong with these motherboards.

For those users that posted they had their motherboards replaced by a Dell technician.. has this resolved your issues?  Has anyone found a solution to this problem??… this is driving me crazy!

Thanks

Nimb
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Been in contact with Dell Pro Support and they told me that a new version of the firmware is on its way. He told me "in january" - but I haven't found it yet tho. Guess I have to give them a couple of days.

0 Kudos