Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2017 16:00

Latitude E7450 - Error message "A disk read error occurred"

Hello,

I have a Dell Latitude E7450 with Windows 10. I am unable to get to the login screen as the following error message comes up "A disk read error occurred Pres Ctl+Alt+Del to restart" I do this and get the same error message each time. I did hold F12 so I can get to the boot options. I ran the diagnostics and it completed with no issues found. "All tests passed"

Any ideas of how I can fix this issue?

Boot mode is set to Legacy. Should I change it to Secure Boot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 29th, 2017 03:00

Run the extended - not just quick - diagnostic on the hard drive (F12 at powerup).  

No, you cannot change to UEFI/Secure Boot without a complete reload of the operating system.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 29th, 2017 04:00

As was mentioned, the system should be set to the way the OS was installed.  If it was UEFI then it needs to be in that configuration, if Legacy leave it there.

If that system came with Win 10 from the factory it was probably configured as UEFI but you can boot to the recovery media to see if you don't know.

I am not familiar with what the diagnostics actually check.  If it checks the drive operation, it may not be looking at boot files and any possible corruption.

No Events found!