Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2015 13:00

Latitude E7450 randomly shuts down

I though I just share my experience with my new Dell Latitude E7450. I have received the laptop 2 days ago. I fell in love with it in no time for sure... Than, after 2 days, when I was browsing, the laptop suddenly was shutting down. It started to happen more and more often when I put it under moderate load. I was updating to the latest BIOS and drivers and the issue still did not go away. I thought it is over heating maybe so I turned off the auto shut down for over heating. Still I did not accomplish anything. Been on the line with costumer services for hours, to figure out what could be the issue as I was unable to run full test since the laptop was shutting down when it reached to the memory test. I thought it will be the memory? No, I could accomplish the memory test 2 times with no issues. Later on, it was shutting down in the middle of the tests or whenever I had an advertisement in the browser.  

So far I`m waiting for a tech to replace the motherboard and the heat sink fan... I would not expect this to happen with close to the top of the price computer.  I hope that the motherboard change will solve the issue but how was it tested if a moderate load on the CPU cause such an issue?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 24th, 2015 20:00

Hi Vajni,

Are you running the Dell diagnostics in the operating system or outside the operating system? If running from inside the operating system. I’d suggest you to reseat the memory module(s) one at time in each slot and run the diagnostics on the memory to figure out the faulty one. To run the diagnostics please use the link below.

http://dell.to/164l6g4

Please let me know the findings.

9 Posts

April 25th, 2015 07:00

Hi Ravi,

I used both. The BIOS test shows hight CPU temperature. I had the GPU-Z for testing before and that showed 102°C. Since I have i7-5600U it seems that the CPU running on the max.

I tried to test the memory but the result always "user aborted". Everything else passed.

Tech. should come on Monday to change the mother board. I do not want to play around the memory unless he is here so I do not violate the warranty?

Should he bring a spare DDR3 as well?

Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 3rd, 2015 17:00

Hi Vajni,

Hope your issue with the system is fixed. Also, I would suggest you to run a thorough test on the battery. You can download Support assist from the link below and run the PC CHECKUP on Battery to check for issues

http://dell.to/1hAPOXr

Please let me know the findings.

6 Posts

May 7th, 2015 18:00

I also just got a Dell Latitude E7450 (end of April, 2015) and am having the EXACT same problem with intermittent shutdowns!  I've used Dell computers for decades and never had anything like this happen on the higher end laptops that I always get.  This is very frustrating.  I will be calling tech support in the morning also to get someone out here. 

Looks like some sort of QC step was missed here recently on these Dell Latitude E7450s.  Beautiful laptop but I cannot use it like this.  This has caused a loss of time and interruption to my business and sounds like it is going to cause even more time and problems.  Like Vajni,  I've also run all the Dell diagnostics - but they didn't catch anything either -- but it just shutdown again minutes after it completed the diagnostics!

-- Karen

9 Posts

May 8th, 2015 06:00

Ravi,

My laptop was replaced by Dell. This one so far is working perfect. I tested the battery as well and found no issue. Most likely it was the faulty heat sensor causing issues but the faulty one was sent back so Dell can look in to the issue.

I`m happy to have the replacement and using this laptop but it is a bit of disappointment that I had to install the  dell system detect and run the online tests. You guys must have your own test procedure without that for sure but since I had to do this for myself it does not give me 100% assurance that all stress tests are done?

Maybe just to knock off this slight issue you guys at Dell might want to start installing the system detect in advance so people won`t have the idea that their system is not tested to the max.

Thanks,

6 Posts

May 8th, 2015 11:00

Vajni -

Please keep me updated on your replacement E7450 laptop.  I've gone ahead and had mine sent back as I don't have time to spend swapping parts out and since this is probably a group of laptops with the same defective hardware part, I didn't want to just get a replacement which could have the exact same problem.

I do love this Latitude E7450 laptop - light, thin, 14" monitor, long running battery.  Everything I wanted!  I really hate to send it back, but, just don't have time to mess with re-installing yet another one so will wait and see when Dell identifies the root cause and fixes it.

Thanks!

-- Karen

6 Posts

May 8th, 2015 12:00

Vajni -

I just had it returned instead.  Was figuring I would wait to order another one after a while once they figure out what bad hardware parts they are using.   

I just finished de-activating all my installed software so it can be sent back.  I've got an older Latitude E6510 i7 that still works great - it's just so much heavier and slower. 

Maybe you can update this post in a few days after you have been running with the new one a while and report on if there are additional issues or if it works like most Dell Latitudes (which I'm very sold on - have had many Latitude models over the years).  And if it works good I guess I can re-order this same configuration and hope I don't get one with a bad part again. 

Not sure how Dell handles this type of problem where there is clearly a hardware component issue. Do you know if they identified the problem and then made sure your replacement did not have the same defective part in it?

Thanks!

-- Karen

9 Posts

May 8th, 2015 12:00

Karen,

Probably it is faster to get it replaced. Re-installing will take about a quarter of a day to have everything you need :) I asked for replacement part first but the i7 board delivery was waaaay too long. I would not call it next business day support. The replacement laptop arrived in a week time and it is running perfectly. I very satisfied with this one. They can initiate the replacement and you do not lose time on shipping it there and , have it checked out and have it sent back, just on the shipping time from Dell to your house. One thing was strange though... I could have get the replacement parts in 2 weeks time but I could get a replacement system in a week time...

I hope they will find the issue on your laptop and have it fixed. It is really a great, handy, nice and useful laptop when it is up and running.

9 Posts

May 8th, 2015 16:00

Karen,

My replacement laptop came first only than I sent back the faulty one therefore Dell could not identify the issue 100%. I had the GPU-Z downloaded and checked the CPU temperature. At the slightest stress it was running on 102 C and that is the max temperature for the i7 board. The laptop itself was not that hot. I have an Asus C90 as well and when that is running at 80 C my hands are burning due to the bad position of the video card so I can surely tell you that the Dell laptop was not close to that temperature. Most likely one of the temperature sensor was faulty on mine, maybe you experienced the same issues. I sent back my laptop yesterday so hopefully Dell will get back to me about the issue, or at least they will test the future series for the same issue.

Will let you know how this one works. So far it is nice but I did not test it under any design program where it will get a higher load :) 

6 Posts

May 14th, 2015 12:00

Vajni -

Have you been able to stress test your replacement Latitude 7450 yet to see if it still shuts down randomly?  Did Dell get back to you on what your original problem was on the one you sent back?

Last Friday (5/8/15) I went ahead and had them send a new replacement 7450 to exchange with my defective one - still waiting on getting that but hope to get it soon and will run it through some sustained heavy file copying which seems to trigger it.. 

-- Karen

9 Posts

May 14th, 2015 13:00

Karen,

Dell closed the case and gave no update on the issue after they received the faulty unit. Since I have the replacement, it is running very smooth. I had no issues so far. I had Solid Works running and did not have any issues with this one.

I hope your replacement will be as good as mine. It is really a pleasure to use this laptop when there is no problem with the system. 

9 Posts

May 27th, 2015 04:00

Hi Karen,

Did you receive your replacement laptop? Is it running on 100%? I have downloaded some serious demanding games and mine is running as expected. Getting a little hot on the fan side but this is a business laptop in the end and it is not for gaming.

So far I had no shut down issues and no shady errors. I hope your new system is more than satisfactory. Did they get back to you on the issue with the previous one?

BR,

Vajni

6 Posts

May 27th, 2015 07:00

Vajni -

I received my replacement laptop last week so have been busy loading it back up and have been running a lot of sustained, large file transfers (2+ hours long) which on the defective one had shut it down multiple times.  I still need to run some long videos that also caused shutdowns but so far, no unplanned shutdowns on the replacement Latitude E7450.

Since I didn't send the defective one back until I received the replacement last week, I haven't heard anything back on the bad one.  Not sure if they will ever get back to me on that but I think you were probably correct in thinking it was a faulty heat sensor.  Not much else would just do an orderly, auto shutdown for no other apparent reason.

So far I am very pleased with the replacement.  I love this laptop - so thin and light but yet very powerful - and with a swappable battery too!  I've used Dell computers for a long, long time so glad to see Dell come through with the replacement and no hassles. 

If I do encounter any issues in the next couple of weeks, I will post them here, but it is looking very good now!

Thanks for sharing your experiences too.  That really helped me out when I encountered the problem and saved me a lot of time.

-- Karen

87 Posts

August 10th, 2015 08:00

Our company is doling out the E7450 and I am now receiving a few reports for this same issue...  With the latest case, I applied the A04 BIOS update, as well as the more recent Intel HD drivers (as more of the reports were over the display blanking out at random).  As I am just applying these updates now, it's too early to know if this will work to resolve the problem...

At least one of these units actually crashed, logging a thermal event under Windows 7.

From what I'm reading here, it could be entirely hardware-related.

6 Posts

August 11th, 2015 20:00

What it appeared to be is a faulty thermal sensor.  After I got mine exchanged for a new one, I have not had the problem anymore. But, as you are finding out, there must be some more of those bad thermal sensors out there.  Too bad they can't seem to track the bad hardware pieces to a manufacturing lot and identify the bad laptops.  

No Events found!