Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2015 13:00

Latitude E7450 randomly shuts down

I though I just share my experience with my new Dell Latitude E7450. I have received the laptop 2 days ago. I fell in love with it in no time for sure... Than, after 2 days, when I was browsing, the laptop suddenly was shutting down. It started to happen more and more often when I put it under moderate load. I was updating to the latest BIOS and drivers and the issue still did not go away. I thought it is over heating maybe so I turned off the auto shut down for over heating. Still I did not accomplish anything. Been on the line with costumer services for hours, to figure out what could be the issue as I was unable to run full test since the laptop was shutting down when it reached to the memory test. I thought it will be the memory? No, I could accomplish the memory test 2 times with no issues. Later on, it was shutting down in the middle of the tests or whenever I had an advertisement in the browser.  

So far I`m waiting for a tech to replace the motherboard and the heat sink fan... I would not expect this to happen with close to the top of the price computer.  I hope that the motherboard change will solve the issue but how was it tested if a moderate load on the CPU cause such an issue?

2 Posts

August 15th, 2015 10:00

Same problem here, brand new 7450 out of the box for roughly 30 minutes and shutting down constantly.  Was happy to find this post so I know I immediately have to send it back, won't mess around.

I will keep this updated as to the status of the replacements & fix.

87 Posts

August 18th, 2015 13:00

I have a few E7450's that experienced display issues.  These were resolved by applying the latest Intel HD drivers (and I upgraded the BIOS to A04).  However, I have one unit that keeps crashing...

I just reinstalled the Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Drivers, and I set the associated service from "manual" to "automatic."  Fingers crossed.

Windows 7: The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device... error
http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/268212-driver-driver-wudfrd-failed-load-device-error.html

2 Posts

August 18th, 2015 13:00

Update: I called Dell same day as delivery regarding the shut down/thermal problem.  Diagnostics, during either the regular or thorough tests, showed a CPU temp spike to 102C which generated a warning and appeared to stop the test.  The temperature seemed to jump from 78C or so to 102 for just an instant, then settle right back to 78 or 80 and stay put.

Dell was quick to dispatch a replacement laptop, though it'll be another 2 weeks due to build.  I'm a little nervous about the consistent mention of "same or better" in the e-mail traffic as I had highly customized the laptop and was very specific on the phone about wanting the exact same thing (but working, of course).

Laptop was gorgeous otherwise.  Will check back in with results.  The mention of the thermal management software update sounds promising, I feel stupid saying that I didn't check to see whether it had all the updates.  I still have the bad unit, may unbox and see whats up.  Keep us posted.

August 21st, 2015 08:00

I also have run into this same scenario on multiple stations. I have spoke to our Dell rep regarding these units randomly dying.  I have send my results to engineering  explaining these abnormal thermal temperature 102c  is also the highest I've seen. I reconsidering ordering these units and going back to E6540's. I currently have 90 7450 in production and averaging issues with 1-10 units. It is shame because they are well received by the end users due to the weight and performance offering .

1 Message

January 20th, 2016 00:00

Dear Ravi

I am having the same problem as Vajni , ( even worst ) I bought my laptop Dell 7450 ( I7 -5600) in Sept 2015 , and now Dell has replace the mother board 2 times , ( last one was in end of November 2015) . Today the same problem happen again , during one week randomly the screen turned black and back for couple of time and Sunday , God has called my E7450 to the haven .

I called Dell support in Indonesia, telling them the same story again about what’s happened to the laptop , and the answer was “ we are going to replace the mother board but we will ask a good one “ very weird answer .

I have been using dell since 1991 , without single problem , my last laptop was a E6400 Centrino , and had worked with this laptop in different harsh environment , ( never had single problem)

Now with this laptop pretending at the edge of the technology and high price , it is very frustrating to face such repeating situation without having Dell considering seriously this issue .

I would like Dell to replace my machine but apparently Indonesia support doesn’t seem to do so .

Least but not last , is to give up with Dell and seek other less branded but reliable machine with real support .

Really , really *** off customer .

9 Posts

January 20th, 2016 06:00

Hi Dayak,

Since the replacement, my laptop shuts down sometimes but it must be a temperature issue. It happens when the fan opening is slightly blocked or I leave it on the charger and the laptop is left on a surface that does not dissipate the heat, like a sheet in the bed :)

With that mother board the cooling is challenging and the ultrabook concept does not help to the design at all. 

Unless I overheat it a but, this replacement is running smooth and reliably.

Cheers, 

4 Posts

April 14th, 2016 12:00

Were you able to figure out of the A04 BIOS update did anything on these issues?

We are starting to get reports of the 7440 and 7450 models starting to run hot also....

1 Message

October 6th, 2016 15:00

SOLVED!

The Dell Latitude laptops and many others have a magnetic sensor on the bottom edge somewhere so that when the lid is closed, and the unseen magnet approaches, it goes into sleep (or hibernation mode).

If you are wearing a magnetic bracelet, like many of us do for "therapeutic purposes", your bracelet will often trigger a "sleep" or "hibernation".

Remove your bracelet for a while and give it a try - that should do it!

9 Posts

October 6th, 2016 23:00

The BIOS update did not help. The issue is probably the air circulation. By now I experianced if there is a slight curvatute on the surface where i place my notebook, sooner or later it will sshut down. This happdned as well with the old Dell notebook lap pad. That one is curved as well. But at least it has a sliding mouse pad piece in the middle. When the piece is extracted, the notebook won't shut down otherwise it is a ticking "timebomb". The little tabs on the bottom frame could be a bit higher in desingn could solve the problem.

1 Message

December 9th, 2016 18:00

I have gone through two of these at my work. The first was not function properly at all.  The second one randomly began shutting down when plugged in.  I had to take it back to work to the docking station to get it to run.  Then I received a strange red warning about a tagging issue and had to take the battery out.  To do this you have to unscrew the bottom panel of the laptop.  We removed the battery and put the bottom cover back on and only run it on the docking station or plugged in directly.  The IT department is now ordering me another one.  I'm not impressed with the technical issues of this laptop. As a business model its a an unreliable laptop in the field with these issues.

1 Message

January 16th, 2017 12:00

Band new E7450 (January 2017) & I have the same issue.

No Events found!