KLF25
1 Copper

RE: Latitude E7450 randomly shuts down

Vajni -

Have you been able to stress test your replacement Latitude 7450 yet to see if it still shuts down randomly?  Did Dell get back to you on what your original problem was on the one you sent back?

Last Friday (5/8/15) I went ahead and had them send a new replacement 7450 to exchange with my defective one - still waiting on getting that but hope to get it soon and will run it through some sustained heavy file copying which seems to trigger it.. 

-- Karen

0 Kudos
Vajni
1 Copper

Karen,

Dell closed the case and gave no update on the issue after they received the faulty unit. Since I have the replacement, it is running very smooth. I had no issues so far. I had Solid Works running and did not have any issues with this one.

I hope your replacement will be as good as mine. It is really a pleasure to use this laptop when there is no problem with the system. 

0 Kudos
Vajni
1 Copper

Hi Karen,

Did you receive your replacement laptop? Is it running on 100%? I have downloaded some serious demanding games and mine is running as expected. Getting a little hot on the fan side but this is a business laptop in the end and it is not for gaming.

So far I had no shut down issues and no shady errors. I hope your new system is more than satisfactory. Did they get back to you on the issue with the previous one?

BR,

Vajni

0 Kudos
KLF25
1 Copper

Vajni -

I received my replacement laptop last week so have been busy loading it back up and have been running a lot of sustained, large file transfers (2+ hours long) which on the defective one had shut it down multiple times.  I still need to run some long videos that also caused shutdowns but so far, no unplanned shutdowns on the replacement Latitude E7450.

Since I didn't send the defective one back until I received the replacement last week, I haven't heard anything back on the bad one.  Not sure if they will ever get back to me on that but I think you were probably correct in thinking it was a faulty heat sensor.  Not much else would just do an orderly, auto shutdown for no other apparent reason.

So far I am very pleased with the replacement.  I love this laptop - so thin and light but yet very powerful - and with a swappable battery too!  I've used Dell computers for a long, long time so glad to see Dell come through with the replacement and no hassles. 

If I do encounter any issues in the next couple of weeks, I will post them here, but it is looking very good now!

Thanks for sharing your experiences too.  That really helped me out when I encountered the problem and saved me a lot of time.

-- Karen

0 Kudos
jddfw
2 Iron

Our company is doling out the E7450 and I am now receiving a few reports for this same issue...  With the latest case, I applied the A04 BIOS update, as well as the more recent Intel HD drivers (as more of the reports were over the display blanking out at random).  As I am just applying these updates now, it's too early to know if this will work to resolve the problem...

At least one of these units actually crashed, logging a thermal event under Windows 7.

From what I'm reading here, it could be entirely hardware-related.

0 Kudos
KLF25
1 Copper

What it appeared to be is a faulty thermal sensor.  After I got mine exchanged for a new one, I have not had the problem anymore. But, as you are finding out, there must be some more of those bad thermal sensors out there.  Too bad they can't seem to track the bad hardware pieces to a manufacturing lot and identify the bad laptops.  

0 Kudos
steckelj
1 Copper

Same problem here, brand new 7450 out of the box for roughly 30 minutes and shutting down constantly.  Was happy to find this post so I know I immediately have to send it back, won't mess around.

I will keep this updated as to the status of the replacements & fix.

0 Kudos
jddfw
2 Iron

I have a few E7450's that experienced display issues.  These were resolved by applying the latest Intel HD drivers (and I upgraded the BIOS to A04).  However, I have one unit that keeps crashing...

I just reinstalled the Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Drivers, and I set the associated service from "manual" to "automatic."  Fingers crossed.

Windows 7: The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device... error
http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/268212-driver-driver-wudfrd-failed-load-device-error.html

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
steckelj
1 Copper

Update: I called Dell same day as delivery regarding the shut down/thermal problem.  Diagnostics, during either the regular or thorough tests, showed a CPU temp spike to 102C which generated a warning and appeared to stop the test.  The temperature seemed to jump from 78C or so to 102 for just an instant, then settle right back to 78 or 80 and stay put.

Dell was quick to dispatch a replacement laptop, though it'll be another 2 weeks due to build.  I'm a little nervous about the consistent mention of "same or better" in the e-mail traffic as I had highly customized the laptop and was very specific on the phone about wanting the exact same thing (but working, of course).

Laptop was gorgeous otherwise.  Will check back in with results.  The mention of the thermal management software update sounds promising, I feel stupid saying that I didn't check to see whether it had all the updates.  I still have the bad unit, may unbox and see whats up.  Keep us posted.

0 Kudos
Oliver Soler
1 Copper

I also have run into this same scenario on multiple stations. I have spoke to our Dell rep regarding these units randomly dying.  I have send my results to engineering  explaining these abnormal thermal temperature 102c  is also the highest I've seen. I reconsidering ordering these units and going back to E6540's. I currently have 90 7450 in production and averaging issues with 1-10 units. It is shame because they are well received by the end users due to the weight and performance offering .

0 Kudos