Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2015 18:00

Latitude E7450 touchpad issue

Guys

Does anyone else here have any issues with the E7450's touchpad mouse?

Its just not very good at all. Not very responsive, choppy... very hard to use.

Thanks,

DM

1.2K Posts

May 5th, 2015 22:00

Good day!

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.I can assist you to resolve the issue with your E7450.

I would suggest you to try performing these troubleshooting steps ,

*Were any recent changes made to the system ,software/hardware .

*Uninstall the existing touch pad driver and reinstall the dell touch pad driver by entering the service tag of the system  from this link .

*If an external mouse is connected to the laptop does it work fine, by doing this we are confirming if the operating system is working fine .

*Also do confirm if the system has a track pad at the center of the keyboard and does it work fine .I would also like to know if the touch pad buttons work fine .

I hope this helps .If there are any more queries do reply to this post with the service tag information of the system sent via private message.

Have a great day ahead !

Kindest Regards,

May 25th, 2015 00:00

Hi,

I am having the same issue. I have tried;

- adjusting the settings of the Dell TouchPad app that is running

- checked that i have the latest version of the BIOS

- disconnected my wireless mouse

The issue still occurs, when the trackpad isn't working, the mouse in the centre of the keyboard does work as does an extranal mouse.

It feels like a hardware issue?

Cheers,

Shane

1.2K Posts

May 25th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

I would ask you to confirm if the issue is seen safe mode since safe mode uses very minimal drivers and graphics to conclude if its a hardware or software issue.Also I would ask you to uninstall and reinstall the touchpad drivers.

Awaiting your response.

3 Posts

May 29th, 2015 14:00

same issue here, brand new E7450 added our corporate image to it with the drivers.

Was working fine for couple minute then starting doing that. Tryed to update to the newest driver  + rebooot same issue...

The issue occured even in the BIOS, touchpad unresponsive really choppy.

But after leaving the BIOS and back to Windows everything was fine... :emotion-8:

May 29th, 2015 16:00

This is a weird one.

This week;

• Monday - worked for most of the day, in the evening started to get really choppy then stopped altogether - completely unusable. I shut down.
  • Tuesday - Powered up, worked fine all day
  • Wednesday - fine all day
  • Thursday - started playing up in the afternoon
  • Friday - choppy all day, unusable

I havent tested it in Safe Mode yet..

2 other people who have this model are having the same sort of issues.

3 Posts

May 30th, 2015 20:00

I'm having the same problem.  Just got my E7450 Tuesday (May 26) and installed VirtualBox and then Ubuntu as a guest OS.  The touchpad became almost useless.  Thought I screwed up something and reset my windows system image back to factory defaults (after figuring out the USB windows recovery media is lacking Dell Drivers).  Anyway, after correctly restoring my system the problem went away.   Today (Saturday) the touchpad problem reoccurs and I'm using the plain Windows 8.1 without any addition apps or third party software other than what was installed on my system by Dell.  I tried rebooting with no luck.  Then I disabled gestures on the touchpad & rebooted.  It started working again.  Is this really a 'fix' or just another coincidence of a transient problem going away for a while?  Would be interested if it works with others having the same problem

3 Posts

June 1st, 2015 08:00

strange stuff,  when this starting up to be choppy have you guys tryed to go into the bios then exit...

Mine stopped after that but after seeing your post I guess it will start again...

Can it be a "heat" issue the only logic I can see if this problem start and stop by himself..

15 Posts

June 1st, 2015 16:00

Thanks guys.

After I rebooted mine, has been good so far.

But then again, I haven't really had too much use of it.

Think its time I stress test this model a bit more to try and reproduce the problem.

I am on Win7 x64bit, and has been rebuilt using corporate image.

DM

June 12th, 2015 13:00

I have about 6 of these laptops I am setting up for users in my department and am experiencing the same exact issue on at least 2 of them.  Sometimes the touchpad will work fine, and sometimes it will be completely unresponsive or choppy.  I updated the BIOS, ran the system analyzer and updated all drivers, and also installed the latest version of the touchpad.

Seems like faulty hardware to me but I'm interested in knowing if anyone else still has this problem?

June 12th, 2015 16:00

So after a few weeks with lots of issues, mine has been working for now for about 2 weeks? Can't really explain this one?

2 Posts

July 2nd, 2015 16:00

Yes, I too have this issue.  The Touchpad will be just fine for days or weeks and then, out of the blue, the touchpad will not respond and the arrow will not move, or it moves with great difficulty.  However, if I attach an external mouse at this point, all will work fine!

It's really a mystery to me and I'm in IT!

I do usually have several windows open at the time.  An Excel spread sheet, maybe 2 Browser windows and my Outlook Program.  It's really quite an annoyance!

1.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2015 11:00

Hi @Caswan ,

Regret the inconvenience caused ! I would ask you to confirm if you have performed these troubleshooting steps ,

*Uninstall the touchpad drivers then reinstall them from this site  .

*Go to touchpad properties and increase the sensitivity 

*Also if you have performed any other troubleshooting steps do confirm the same.

Awaiting your response .

Kind Regards,

3 Posts

July 3rd, 2015 13:00

I've also switched mostly to using an attached mouse.  However the several times I've used the touchpad for long periods of time, I've continued to experience the problem.  Nothing immediate that I try seems to fix it, and it can get worse (more unresponsive).   After powering down for the rest of the day, the problem has always disappeared.   The last two times it started happening, I  started feeling the bottom of my E7450 Latitude and both times the bottom upper left side was warmer than normal (never hot though, like my old Dell XPS would get).

BTW Jennifer K, when I click on your site URL to get drivers to install, I get  a "site not found" error message.  Please update. 

1.2K Posts

July 6th, 2015 06:00

Hi @Mskypek,

Regret the inconvenience caused ! But here we have the link for the support site with windows 8 /8.1 .Do install this driver and advise the status of the system after its installation .

Kindest Regards ,

July 6th, 2015 13:00

wow brand new 7450 out of the box and having major trackpad issues, it freezes, wont move the mouse, lags all over the screen, its running windows 7 pro.  thinking about sending this back.

No Events found!