Latitude XT3 - Worth the wait?

I need to buy a touchscreen laptop!  Do I wait on the XT3... or buy an HP?  I have an HP that I'm not impressed with.  Considering going back to a Dell... 

Does anyone know when the XT3 will be available... and how cool or NOT it will be?  I am so not happy with the performance of my HP, I need something that will work and work WELL.

Thanks for any thoughts...

A

0 Kudos
10 Replies
9 Rhodium

Re: Latitude XT3 - Worth the wait?

Since it uses a Sandy Bridge platform, the announced XT3 will likely be delayed as Intel works to fix that platform.  There is some information here:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/dell-latitude-xt3-convertible-tablet-hands-on-video/

I wouldn't recommend HP to anyone.  If you must have a tablet sooner, the ThinkPad series is a good alternative, if you can't wait.

0 Kudos
herpaderpa
1 Copper

The issues with Sandy Bridge were due to a chipset failure, not a failure in the actual processor.  As such, the recall only affects people who were using RAID and I doubt there are going to be many notebook RAID users.

What kind of HP did you own, Edwin?  For my own curiosity, was it a Tm2?

I'm looking forward to the new series of convertible tablets with the SB line of cpus.

0 Kudos
tkcollette
1 Nickel

I;ve had tablets from HP and Toshiba.  I know have the XT3.  Hands down best machine.  Pricey, but worth every penny.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
fahl5
1 Nickel

I can assent that. I also use Toshiba and Fujitsu Convertibles.

After using the xt3 for month I approve, that the xt3 is an excellent machine.

You'll be lucky, if you get one.

0 Kudos
rschroeder7
1 Copper

The XT3 is supposed to be a great pick... it is now available under dell small and medium business.

Highlighted
375wea
1 Nickel

If you plan on installing Windows 8, stay away from the XT3. No drivers available.

fahl5
1 Nickel

On my XT3 (which I already baught in autum 2011) I installed Win8 when it was introduced and dont have Problems with Win8 Pro on my XT3

best Steffen

0 Kudos
375wea
1 Nickel

I had purchsed the XT3 specically for running Win 8. I did not seem to have any trouble with the pre-release. I then purchased Win 8 Pro (64 bit) and and have installed 3 times (2 different hard drives) and the same problems come up. It runs okay while plugged into the AC adpter, but soon as I unplug it, the screen goes bannanas. Tech help was useless, as the XT3 is not tested with Win 8 and no hint of updating the the drivers for it. It runs fine with Win 7, so there is no hardware problems. I gave up and bought a HP Touchsmart that came with Win 8, no problems. The XT3 was a waste of money as far as I amconcerned, then again, I really don't care that much about Win 8.  It is alright for tablets, I guess. I have a Microsoft Surface that works okay.

fahl5
1 Nickel

I installed the downloaded Win8 updating it with the Microsoftinstaller from Win7. The N-Trig Win8 Beta driver, was the only driver update which was necessary. And dont have any Problem with Win8. Neither with the installation nor with the working system.

The reason I bought the XT3, was that it already prefigured Win8 combining touch & Tablet-functionality with a rocksolid and powerfull hardware and System, capeable for anything you would like to run on your computer. I am happy it works for me.

Here you will find some help to get Win8 working on your XT3:

forum.tabletpcreview.com/.../54006-dell-latitude-xt3-windows-8-64bit-not-win-8-pro.html

best Steffen

0 Kudos