Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2011 03:00

Latitude XT3 "Tablet buttons are not installed on this computer"

I love my XT3 - fantastic machine.  Pen / touch input is fantastic. 

When I flip into tablet mode, the buttons on the panel are not active. 

When I go to the Control Panel and select Tablet PC Settings, (image below)

I get the following message: Tablet Buttons are not installed on this computer. 

Does anyone know how to correct this problem? 

4 Posts

March 15th, 2012 11:00

SUCCESS!!!  I posted up higher in this thread about my XT3 buttons not working.  Well, I lost my stylus so I called in and ended up in support to order a new stylus and while I had them I chatted about the button problem.

Here are two suggestions, the first one is what i would check first now that I've gone through the process:

1) Try this first

1. Open this folder:  START / All Program / Dell / Dell System Manager
  2. Run Tablet Manager
  3. Choose Pen & Input
  4. In the lower left hand corner is Tablet Buttons; if this says Turn On, then click it to turn on the buttons, reboot, and it should work.  If it says Turn Off then this control is already activated and you should try the steps below.

2) Try this next:

1. Download APP_WIN_R312259.EXE for the right operating system.  There are lots in spots in this thread that suggest how.
  2. Uninstall the Dell System Manager
  3. Install APP_WIN_R312259.EXE ; this will cause a reboot
  4. Follow the steps for the option 1 above.

This is what I did on my system and it worked.  I'm a very happy camper.  Love my XT3 even more now!

3 Posts

December 16th, 2011 06:00

Greetings tkCollette,

Thanks for your positive remarks about the XT3. I happen to like the machine myself. :emotion-1:

I read your post yesterday while looking for some other information, and I looked at my XT3, and saw exactly what you are reporting.

After some additional investigation and testing, I think you need to download and install the "ControlPoint System Manager" from support.dell.com for the XT3.

XT3
Drivers & Downloads
Under Operating System select "Windows 7 32-bit" or "Windows 7 64-bit" depending on which version you are running.
ControlPoint

1. APP_WIN_R312260.EXE (18MB) (32-bit)
  2. APP_WIN_R312259.EXE (19MB) (64-bit)

That should take care of the buttons not working when you flip to tablet mode.

Thanks for being a Dell customer!

Regards

1 Message

January 21st, 2012 03:00

Your suggestion to install Dell ControlPoint System Manager makes the tablet buttons work (note that DCP System Manager is now replaced by the Client Features Enhancement Pack).

Still, even though the 3 buttons work fine, they cannot be configured from the Windows Control panel entry 'Set tablet buttons to perform certain tasks'.  Windows will keep saying 'Tablet buttons are not installed on this computer'.  At least not on an Latitude XT3 running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits.

I have tried everything: reinstall the OS, upgrade to BIOS A02, try to upgrade to NTrig A01 (which fails to install), reinstall the DCP System Manager or Dell Client Features Enhancement Pack: the drivers of the tablet buttons are considered by Windows as current and working fine but cannot be configured.  In my opinion, the buttons are not installed as the right class of device, they are considered by Windows as some sort of gaming device buttons which explains that they work fine.  Still, they are not 'Tablet buttons' as expected by Windows to be able to reconfigure them via the Windows control panel.

I submitted this issue to Dell support in November, I was thanked for reporting a bug and promised to be kept up to date.  I called back this week, and now I am told to install DCP system manager or to reinstall the OS.

I need to reconfigure these buttons to emulate the Alt-Tab: our training consultants use it to be able to switch applications and stay in full screen presentation mode, for example in PowerPoint.

What can I do next?  I have 23 XT3 to image.

Thanks in advance

1 Message

February 5th, 2012 06:00

My XT3 buttons also do not work.  I have Windows 7 64 bit and downloaded the APP_WIN_R312259.EXE file from the Dell site but when I run it, I am told that is it is Version 1.7.10000 released August 31, 2011 and that a newer  version is already installed.  But I my Tablet PC buttons don't work and I cannot find a more recent version of the Control Point System Manager.

Please help.

2 Posts

June 22nd, 2012 03:00

My Latitude XT3 got the same problem. I also did uninstall and reinstall the Dell System Manager but still no effect. I tried to turn the Tablet Buttons on and it won't turn.

Any other solution ?

Thank.

Youri.

No Events found!