Arco123
1 Copper

Re: Latitude Z touchpad

My Z touchpad issue is very similar.  When the laptop is docked to the wireless dock charger, I am getting phantom movements without any fingers near the touchpad.  The phantom movements are slight left-right movements (not up-down) and might include clicks.  When the Z is not docked, I do not have these problems.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
TorbenR
1 Copper

Same issue here. Unacceptable for a laptop in this price range! Very disappointed.

0 Kudos
TorbenR
1 Copper

@jr255: Did the Windows 7 reinstall work?

0 Kudos
TorbenR
1 Copper

Just got off the phone with Dell's ELS.
They had me run msconfig.exe, click "disable all" under Start Up, and restart. It seems to have fixed my mousepad issue!

I have now added the few programs that I need to start up with Windows and the touchpad is still responding!

MUCH more pleasant to work on now..

UPDATE... Hmm, after using it a bit more, it doesnt seem to have helped after all.

0 Kudos
ryanherr
1 Copper

I'm having the same issue... turning off touch pad doesn't work, drivers, nothing...

I'm assuming that I can subscribe to this string...

0 Kudos
timjarsky
1 Copper

I am also having touch pad problems:

1. multitouch scroll requires a long time to register the presence of two fingers. Then you have to be careful to stop your bottom finger well before the bottom of the touchpad otherwise it spontaneously scrolls in the opposite direction.

2. it is very difficult (read impossible) to find settings that give both precision and speed.

3. with the wireless dock mouse movement can be notchy

I spoke with a dell rep and they said they were aware of the problem but could not give a time frame for resolution.

0 Kudos
LANCORP
3 Argentium

Hasn't anyone noticed how glitchy the touchpad is when you are just in the BIOS SETUP?  That means it's not an OS or driver issue causing this.  It's either a BIOS or hardware glitch.

I definitely experience non-smooth, jumpy or outright ceasing of movement of the touchpad.  Not good.  

I currently use an Apple Magic Mouse (which works great, btw, with the proper drivers), and am happy with that solution, but there are times when the touchpad comes in handy.  It would be nice if it actually worked and wasn't so frustrating that I wanted to jam a screwdriver into it's heart!  🙂

0 Kudos
callguy
1 Copper

I'm having the same problem. tried updating the bios but that didn't seem to do much of anything. it's really annoying on such an expensive laptop to have a flaky touchpad. i spend a lot of time in meetings and it isn't really practical to bring a mouse along in that setting. I find the same behavior where the trackpad stalls and there's no real settings that give reasonable speed and enough sensitivity. multi-touch is even worse, i've disabled everything but two fingered scrolling which basically is unusable as well. 

0 Kudos
---dat
1 Copper

I'm having similar issues with the touchpad, just failing to work and now the keyboard pausing and dropping key stroke.  The machine was working famously for the first 2 months, now issues are starting to arise. I've raised a support request and I'm working with a tech on the problem, but I don't have the time this week to rebuild my machine as was suggested after reinstalling the touchpad driver failed to resolve the problem.

0 Kudos
LANCORP
3 Argentium

New touchpad driver released on 05/03/2010 (May 3, 2010).  Lots of fixes for sensitivity issues!

Will be installing it tomorrow and doing MUCH testing!

Will report back.

0 Kudos