jlacy1965
1 Copper

Re: Latitude Z touchpad

Good Afternoon.

I'm trying to determine how to shut off the touchpad.  For most other laptops, there is a bios setting for disabling the touchpad.  Unless I missed it in the bios setup screens, I did not find it there.

Is there another way to shut off the touch pad?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
eazyrider
1 Copper

im having  the same issue with my glide pad..it moves with out me evan touching it.....have you found a fix yet...please help me..thank you bill  <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

0 Kudos
JimmyWhales
1 Copper

All,

I too was having this problem on my Z and think I have found the solution. Sadly you will need to install a driver made by Toshiba which includes a touch/typing guard. This is really all that is missing in the Dell drivers. It's truly confounding that they can't get this right. Anyway, even though these drivers are made by toshiba, they are still for the Alps pointing device which is what we have in our Z's. Make sure to disable the pinch zoom feature once you install this!

This is the latest driver from Toshiba and so far works great for me:

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/tc00353700l.exe

(If my link gets blocked by the forum police, go to toshiba's support/ downloads website, search for alps pointing device and sort by date. Download/install the latest driver)

DELL!! You have got to get it right with your touchpads. This kind of sloppiness and carelessness is what will drive people into the arms of Apple where I guarantee the touchpads work flawlessly. GET IT TOGETHER!!!!

-JW

0 Kudos
qwavel
2 Bronze

I wouldn't normally install a Toshiba driver on a Dell laptop based on suggestions from an online forums, but I'm pretty desperate.  This problem ruins what is otherwise a beautiful piece of hardware (even by 2012) standards.

I almost hope that this driver download doesn't solve the problem - it would add insult to injury to think that, after suffering through this problem for years, it would have been so easy for Dell to resolve by simply providing us with this driver.  And that, even on such an expensive laptop, they weren't willing to pay their customers this most basic service of making their touchpad work right.

0 Kudos