Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2013 00:00

Latitude d630, DVD/CD not found

Hello

my previous Dell Latitude D630 went out of order (nvidia graphics)

so I bought another d630 second hand without hard disk and introduced the "old" hard disk.

Everything works fine (installing drivers...) except the DVD/CD is not recognized at all:

- when in the BIOS, putting the boot sequence to: CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive

the Laptop says: No bootable devices...

(It also says that, when I unplug the DVD/CD)

The DVD/CD itself does a short spinning movement when booting, so it seems to have "electricty".

I've upgraded the BIOS to A18 already;

When booting Windows, the drive is missing altogether (the hardware manager does not show it as an unregonized driver; instead the drive is missing altogether)

I understand the DVD, though introduced to the Laptop, is connected via USB - do I need some USB driver update or how can I fix this?

Is there a manual that would tell me how to check cabling or similar things?

when I introduce the DVD from the old hardware - which was/is working, it is also not found in the "new" laptop,

so I suppose the DVD hardware "connection" is missing??

help greatly appreciated (I need to boot from DVD, and install software - on occasions)

9 Posts

February 24th, 2013 01:00

uh oh, I connected an older USB external CD/DVD ram/rom device; if I then switch the BIOS to boot from USB, and introduce the same DVD-medium as mentioned earlier, then using F12 on the d630 laptop, I for the first time get a DVD/CD entry in the boot menu, and of course it boots alright.

This is a workaround when at home, but this external USB-CD/DVD needs external power supply, so unless I always carry around some diesel generator to fabricate electricity, that's not quite feasible with dell laptop usage.

9 Posts

also, with a bootable DVD-medium in the dvd-device (which works on some of my other DELL Laptops), during booting I can here the typical "noises" (drive movements, I suppose), but still the BIOS ends up with "No bootable devices

9 Posts

following http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd630/en/SM_EN/keyboard.htm#wp1105383

I lifted the keyboard, and could see the DVD slide in without problems; there does not seem to be some sort of cabling, so once the DVD is slit in, then I cannot see why it would not be found;

there does not seem to be some sort of diagnostics for the dvd( the Bios F5 Utility check completed without finding an error), hence I wonder how once booting the DVD is as if was non-existing.

9 Posts

February 24th, 2013 03:00

all other problems solved (NIC working, grafics, etc...) the driver availability at Dell is very impressive IMHO;

yet, the missing-dvd/cd problem remains; during boot-up of the d630 laptop, the inserted DVD(medium) is heard to be spinning; but the weird thing is that pushing the button which usually ejects the DVD(medium), nothing happens.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 24th, 2013 04:00

9 Posts

my test is to boot with F12;

the laptop then shows a boot-menu containing its boot-devices;

with this d630, the CD/DVD is missing

(unless I use an additional external USB-CD/DVD device);

so, the internal CD/DVD, despite producing the usual spinning DVD-disc sounds,

remains missing in the boot-menu (and also in Windows)

then I flashed the BIOS from A18 to A17, A16, A15, A14, A13, A12;

A11 was not available for download;

A10 (said it is version A08 - I guess due to a ftp/file-name error at Dell)

A09, A08, A07, A06, A05, A04

A18 again.

I'm impressed how the BIOS settings are retained though being flashed.

Concerning the DVD/CD issue however, it's still unsolved.

9 Posts

oh well, I'll have to buy an external CD/DVD which does not need extra power supply

9 Posts

February 24th, 2013 05:00

thanks, and I tried that Microsoft fix; it didn't work (it doesn't find a DVD/CD), but thanks anyway.

9 Posts

oh, I'v unplugged the DVD/CD since it won't work anway, so that's some extra space for cooling;

I've ordered an DVD/CD device, that is external/usb which get's its power-supply via the USB(so no extra cabling/no power mains, needed) - and that's the solution for me, well or workaround

9 Posts

answered

No Events found!