Dave Leddon
1 Copper

Latitude e6430u Never Charges

I recently purchased a Latitude e6430u and noticed that the charging percentage never increased above 71%.  I assumed that I needed a new battery so a bought both a new battery and charger, just to make sure I covered all bases.  The new battery never charges past 24% so I re-installed Windows 7 Pro and updated all of the drivers from the Dell web site, very nice driver update system you have, by the way.  The update also include new BIOs, very nice.  None of this had any affect on the problem.  When I first power up the computer, the battery icon on the screen indicates that I am plugged in and charging and the image of the battery shows advancing bars for about 45 seconds and then they freeze.  I'm beginning to suspect a hardware problem.  Any ideas?

Dave

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave Leddon
1 Copper

RE: Latitude e6430u Never Charges

I have an update to my own post.  When I run the internal diagnostics (F12) with the old battery the only complaint I get is that the battery is nearing the end of its life with a battery health of 35%.  When I install the new battery and rerun the diagnostics the battery health is 100% but I get  "Warning: Charger is not detected, please attach the charger now."  It does this with either adapter. The first adapter is shown to be 65 watts and the other as 90 watts so the computer is obviously communicating with the adapters.  The battery charging state shows a slow discharge so that's probably why I get the warning.  Could it be a faulty connection with the battery?

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Does the system correctly identify the AC adapter (F2 at powerup to check)?  If it shows unknown, the battery will not charge.

0 Kudos
Dave Leddon
1 Copper

Yes, the BIOs Battery Information shows the same AC Adapter info as the diagnostics, so the computer is able to talk to the adapter, plus if I hover the cursor over the task bar battery icon, the message says "plugged in, charging".  What's strange is that I get the same behavior from two different adapters, which is why I think the problem lies with either the battery or the battery connection to the mother board.  I'd hate to have to buy another battery to diagnose this problem as they're fairly expensive.

0 Kudos