Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2013 09:00

Latitude e6540 and mSata advice please

Hello,  I will be recieving my e6540 and have a few questions that support was unable to answer in my online chat:

background preface:  The e6540 was not configurable at the time of purchase:  chip, RAM and Harddisk drive were not able to be customized.  the computer I recieved will have 8GB RAM and a slow 5400RPM drive.

I would like to install a mSATA drive and possibly replace the 5400rpm platter drive with an additional SSD drive.  Here are my questions that support couldnt answer:

1) Does the e6540 have a slot for the mSATA?  I believe it would be a WWAN slot and I know the computer isnt coming with a wireless card (so should be open if it has one)?  What data rate is this slot (SATA 3gb/s or SATA 6gb/s)?

2)  Will installling a mSATA void the 3 year warranty I have purchased with my laptop?  I've never bought DELL before and I know some companies will immediatly void any warranty if the consumer opens up the computer.

3)  Similar to 2 above - If I chose to not install a mSATA and instead swap out the slow 5400 disk drive with a SSD drive - will the computer have the same warranty on the hardware (all except for the aftermarket SSD of course)?  

4) Assuming DELL is ok with me adding a SSD or mSATA card (not voiding warranty on original hardware aside from the new Drive) - what is the easiest way to clone the DELL factory install onto the SSD so all hardware support and features are exactly the same on the SSD as it was on the factory 5400 platter drive? (all the remote assist software etc etc)

5) Maybe it's easier to just do a clean install in the SSD card - and then add all dell software/drivers than a clone?

sorry for so many questions - I just want to be sure I'm not going to be throwing a $200+ warranty I paid for out the door due to unintentionally voiding the warranty by adding an upgrade.  Dell support was very wishy washy and unclear on these specific questions.

Thank you for advice.

Kind regards, S

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 23rd, 2013 11:00

If you look at the service manual, there appears to be only one slot, for your WLAN card - these usually will not support mSATA drives.  There doesn't appear to be an mSATA connector in the system (though physically just a PCI express slot, the mSATA connector is not electrically compatible with mini-PCI Express).

2.  See above.  Any damage done installing anything isn't covered by warranty;  other than that, the warranty should be unaffected.

3.  Yes, except for the drive.  You SHOULD keep the original drive, which you may need if service is required.

4.  There are a number of ways to do this - many drive makers provide cloning software.

Service manual is here:

www.dell.com/.../latitude-e6540-laptop

2 Posts

July 26th, 2013 13:00

I successfully installed mSATA SSD drive in E6540 WWAN slot. It was recognized by BIOS and visible during Windows 8 installation - currently my operating system is installed on this drive. So far I don't see any issues.

Thanks, M

August 2nd, 2013 06:00

That is good news, can you tell us which brand/model msata SSD you used?

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2013 23:00

I use Mushkin Enhanced Atlas Series MKNSSDAT120GB-DX mSATA 120GB

Thanks, M

August 4th, 2013 01:00

Awesome, thanks.

August 7th, 2013 13:00

I just installed a Plextor PX-128M5M 128GB msata ssd in the wwan slot of my E6540 (bios A02) and so far it works beautifully.

CrystalDiskMark speeds indicate the wwan/msata slot is sata3 6gbps compatible. Finally a long lasting omission in the Latitude E65x0 series fixed, thank you Dell!

36 Posts

September 16th, 2013 13:00

I opened up my new E6540 to install a new wireless card and discovered what appears to be an open 1/2 height PCI-e slot and the WWAN slot in addition to the occupied WLAN slot (w/ 3 antennae available BTW).

I see that two folks have successfully put an mSATA in the WWAN slot...  Has anyone tried to put one in the slot between the WLAN and the WWAN?

December 14th, 2013 15:00

Hi, great to hear that it works.

The speed and compatibility just worked like it is on a normal SATA 3 slot from your experience? Do you run a 2.5'' HDD simultaneously as well?

December 15th, 2013 01:00

Just plug het msata SSD in het wwan slot and it works, no speed/compatibility issues with the model I used. I did a clean Windows 8 installation on the SSD (since then upgraded to Win8.1), which works fine. I have been using the original 500GB SSHD in the 2,5" slot for mass storage. No problems.

2 Posts

December 24th, 2013 04:00

Hi guys,

I did not understand, the slot was empty or you dicarded the WLAN card?

Thanks.

December 24th, 2013 05:00

Amirqa,

The E6540 has three mini-pcie slots, 2 half size (one occcupied with the wlan card, one empty), 1 full size empty labeled wwan. The full size slot is where you put the msata ssd. Almost all msata ssds require a full size slot, they won't fit in thee half size slot.

2 Posts

December 24th, 2013 06:00

Thanks, you helped a lot.

I needed this info in order to decide which to buy :)

January 15th, 2014 06:00

Hi,

DELL Latitude E6540 have a slot named as "1/2 MINI". This slot supports a half-size mSATA?

In this link you can see the slot:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/Notebooks/Dell/Latitude/E6540/untenwwan.jpg

In this link you can see a half-size mSATA:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RevuAhn-m850mini-Half-size-mSATA-128GB-6Gbps-SSD-EMS-Express-Free-/271326913993?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item3f2c5825c9

Thaks a lot!

5 Posts

February 11th, 2015 19:00

I got my DELL Latitude 2 weeks ago, I plugged in a Crucial 480GB M500 6Gbps mSATA Internal SSD in the vacant WWAN slot, and it worked perfectly. Used it as WIN7 boot-up drive, and install it as Master Drive for RAID setup, and use the supplied Seagate 500GB Hybrid Drive as Recovery/Mirror device. No issues encountered so far. 

2 Posts

June 26th, 2015 09:00

Hi I have a Dell Lattitude E6410 it also has a WWAN slot empty adjacent to the wlan, it looks like it can accept a MSATA card has anyone tested if it works for this model.

No Events found!