RE: Latitude e7470, Bitlocker triggered, TPM gone from Device Manager

Jump to solution

Please let me know if you continue to have problems with the TPM or Bitlocker. 

TB

Specialize in Laptops, Mobile Devices
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Terry- I am and so is trevailious!

0 Kudos
cadamw
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

** Dell Support Update **

This is a temporary workaround until they can determine the root cause of the issue.  I'll update as I know more.

0 Kudos
prometa
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had a similar issue with my E7470. The TPM was gone from Windows Device Manager AND from BIOS. Needed a motherboard swap. Now I'm having other TPM issues where after some sleep/resume cycles, the TPM stops responding. It at least comes back after a reboot.

Makes me wonder if another BIOS update is needed or a new TPM driver

I am having a similar issue with a Mobile Precision 5510, though the issue only showed up after installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. If the machine sleeps, on wake the TPM will be gone and the machine will force reboot. On next boot, the machine will not detect the TPM.

If I shutdown (which apparently preserves the kernel image), on next boot the TPM will also be gone, but if I reboot (which clears the kernel image), the TPM will return. 

I've already updated to TPM2.0, but that did not solve the problem.

It's unclear at this point whether the issue is Windows issuing improper commands or a bug in the TPM firmware, but it has totally disabled sleep on this machine, as well as prevented me from using bitlocker.

yes34567
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I just purchased a E7470 and after two days of use the TPM feature is no longer recognized by the computer as well. I have updated the BIOS to the current version but that didn't fix the issue. Since this seems to be a common issue is there any permanent fix being worked on?

0 Kudos
Lucassantos
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi

Im having the same issue as well with our E7470s. SSD has been previously encrypted with BitLocker, but now the TPM module is missing from the BIOS. Have trying flashing the BIOS, updating, etc. but no change. Work around is to suspend encryption which is not ideal on an enterprise environment with sensitive data Smiley Sad

yes34567
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I submitted a support case with Dell and they did a complete unit swap so I could send in the problematic laptop to their engineers for diagnostics. I hope they find the cause and create a fix for the issue, but unfortunately the TPM decided to show back up the day I sent the laptop in so I'm not sure if they will be able to detect an issue.

0 Kudos
joshik
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi

Same issue here. After complete discharge the battery, TPM is no longer recognized.

0 Kudos
Jon.Mozley
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Another E7470 here with a TPM that is no longer properly detected. Last week it kept prompting for the Bitlocker code to unlock, tried updating BIOS to 1.9.4 but no joy. Can't see it listed in BIOS settings.

0 Kudos
mordicad
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This solved my problem of the missing TPM option in the Bios

0 Kudos