Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 28th, 2011 14:00

Latitude won't charge battery - solved (e6410)

Latitude e6410.

Here's the problem (I'll answer it myself afterwards, since Dell hasn't acknowledged it and is paying out the rear for it):

You plug in the charger and Windows sees the battery but it won't charge it.

6 Posts

March 28th, 2011 14:00

Answer:

So 3 motherboard replacements later, I discovered this. No one from dell chat support EVER checked this or asked me to:

Press Fn+F2 or Fn+F3 to enable/disable charging the battery.

Wow, don't you feel stupid...

Dell, please train your chat support please.

1 Message

May 6th, 2017 14:00

Sorry to here all the trouble you had when there was such a simple fix. Thank you for the advice before I started poring a lot of money in my Dell. I did order a new battery and found it still wouldn't charge. Function f2 was the answer. Why even have a function to not charge the battery? Maybe they are afraid leaving the power adapter plugged will destroy the battery over time? Gotta love tech support!

3 Posts

January 7th, 2012 05:00

I have a Dell Latitude E5500 in the same state. The battery ran down even though the adapter was plugged in. Now it won't boot up with or without the battery installed. How can I get it going again? I can't get it to come up and stay up to press FN+F2 or F3.

1 Message

January 27th, 2012 21:00

Assuming you are running windows, the problem is probably with your power cord.  If the power cord was functioning, it would power your laptop regardless of the state of the battery.  In fact, you can run a Latitude e series that is plugged in without even having a battery.  Try this:

1.  Find somebody with a docking station (Dell?), these use the ports on the bottom of your computer to power it, so whatever is broken with the AC adapter line probably wont affect this.

2.  Put your computer in the docking station and see if it turns on/charges.  If it charges, than something is wrong with your AC adapter.  If it doesn't turn on, then you can always buy a new laptop and hot swap the hard drive.

177 Posts

January 27th, 2012 22:00

Zach, that's the funniest thing I saw all day!

Did they ask you to look in BIOS setup to verify battery charging is enabled?

3 Posts

January 28th, 2012 05:00

Thanks. Some one had told me (wrongly) that a battery must be present. I had measured the O/C voltage at the adapter's connector and it seemed OK. It turns out though, the adapter is faulty under load. I ordered a new one.

1 Message

May 15th, 2013 08:00

Had similar issue with an e6410, I swapped out the brick (A/C adapter) and it started to get a charge, it did not with the previous A/C adapter.  I was able to boot up the laptop.  It turned out that the e6410s adapter was damaged, the LED lit plug was bent.  I work in a school district and kids had used the laptop and probably bent it.   Just FYI.  Hope this helps.  

1 Message

December 3rd, 2013 08:00

Worked for me as well!  Thanks!!!

1 Message

February 11th, 2015 05:00

Thanks Zach...it was really awesome...  :D

Dell executives must know it

1 Message

February 11th, 2015 18:00

Cheers there Zach, I'd been plugged in and unable to leave the house with my laptop. top man.

1 Message

March 6th, 2015 11:00

Your AC adapter is broken.

3 Posts

April 30th, 2015 20:00

I read Zach Baker's response to the battery charge question, but I have just bought a refurb'ed Lat e6410 that tells me that the battery is at 96% charge, the charger is plugged-in, but battery is not charging 

AND Fn + F2 or F3 does not remedy the problem....

Loaded MS WinPro 7 today......?

1 Message

May 7th, 2017 00:00

I was so happy to find this today! Ive tried everything to fix the  plugged in not charging message on e6410. One thing I read on a forum was tapping lightly near the Latitude markings up in the upper left hand corner.  Seemed to work for a while for some reason but quit working last week.  Can't believe it was as simple as Function F2 all along. Thank you

No Events found!