Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 5th, 2015 20:00

(Legacy) M4400 Precision Notebook Workstation - Suitable CPU Upgrade

Hello,

I would be very grateful to confirm my findings below.

I'm a bit on the intermediate side of things with laptops.., Although , I've built a few gaming systems for Desktop users under a different CPU Manufacture back in the 2007-8 years. 

Having done some digging.., It appears that my Precision M4400 was originally shipped with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, T9400  2.53Ghz x2, PGA/BGA 775 - Socket P 478-pin. (w/ Win7 Ultimate  Sp.1 32-bit O.S.)

Discovering that the T9900 3.06Ghz x2 CPU is identical in Socket Specs, FSB, CPU's System Board power allocation limits, L2 6MB cache, 35w TDP,  A/C Adapter's headroom requirements, etc...

Q. Have I missed anything that could cause a serious heat concern when running heavy apps or maybe a problem over-site with BIOS support?

Q. And secondly.., Does anyone have first-hand knowledge or professional advise they could share about this T9900 CPU, as "a compatible configuration for the M4400 Precision in question?"

This M4400's System Board BIOS and Chip-set are the latest ver. A29, since this inquiry was written.

This is likely to be irrelevant here, but for general purposes., I am using two SSD Modules.

SSD module 1. has the O.S., utilizing Primary internal SATA. The second module 2., is configured as an external Boot Device. (in this case, the Optical Drive Bay) 

In addition, 4 GB of DDR2 2x2 matched Ram., And of course.,The M4400's System Board has a dedicated, Nvidia Quadro FX 770 w/ 512MB GDDR3 )

Note:

I am still unclear about the relevance here but if Dell, having integrated it's memory app. providing it's use of (for lack of a better term) "safe operational-power and management technology...,

Q. Is it true that this so called "CPU braking effect." is integrated in the T-series CPU, itself?

That's basically my major concern, in this case.

After cross-referencing my a T9400 CPU with a T9900 CPU in the 'Comparison Chart' which can be  found on Intel's support site., The T9900 CPU seems to be an excellent compatibility solution for a M4400.

Physical requirements are identical. Hardware performance numbers are virtually identical.

T9400's temp threshold is the same for T9900, at 105c. This has to be encouraging.

With all SINCERITY.., ANY AND ALL HELP IS TRULY APPRECIATED.     

And of course.., My apologies for this lengthy description.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 6th, 2015 05:00

As your research has indicated, the CPUs come from the same family and should interchange -- that said, there won't be an enormous difference between the two, so as long as you're not expecting "new system" levels of performance, the upgrade will go fine.

June 7th, 2015 17:00

Thank you, EJN63.

You have been so helpful with this simple compatibility question.

It does seem difficult at best, to get this kind of info through other more accessible avenues. Although, I'll stay on subject.

Having been an AMD user, back in 94-98 days, and now owning a laptop in just recent years, my search efforts finding known system specs and components was a re-education of sorts, and still in progress.

As you recognized, I did spent some "hm-hah" time, reflecting over what noticeable performance gain I could hope to achieve.

In my case, this change-out is going to be a marginal one, with only an additional 53Mhz of CPU speed. Compared to my existing T9400 CPU., This margin, on an average, is going to be a of bit a costly one, I might ad...  ref. Amazon

The T9800 was also heavily considered with it's 27-30ishMhz boost, commanding a much greater savings in the $$ factor.

And yet., The T9900 is the (fastest in it's class) for my FSB 1066Mhz sub-family. That is., Unless you know of another?

I am aware of the Q-, QX-, P- series crossover possibilities as well as the single core and quad 775pin options. ref. Intel-com

I would like express that I'm truly impressed with this older Notebook. My only hope is to discover that it can be supported in all it's diversity.

I here the M4400's DP port, aka HDMI incarnation, might be a task finding support with drivers.

At this time, I haven't had the opportunity to fully investigate this function. I do read that others owning similar systems (not Dell) built in the same time frame and product class, say it has "plug and play" support.

With the on-board GPU., One might assume this is the case. I get in trouble making technical assumptions.

I did get a good quality cable needed for the appropriate HDMI plug conversion.

EJN63... If you have any suggestions on what I should know or do with this HDMI feature, I would be again, very thankful for your insight.

I have other questions about this particular M4400 but maybe the Dell Forum prefers they be separately asked for the benefit of other members search results.  

Side note... My only wish from Dell was that the M4400 had a DDR3 Ram bus in the mix.The significant gain in faster app potential would have been impressive in it's own right.

A 97'-98' Workstation with matched DDR3 components.

I know... It wasn't marketed as "a Gamer." And I can see the hurdles with heat concerns, battery life, etc, all effecting longevity and retail price point. "I'm still impressed."

If you've read up to this, you've been patient... lol.

I will say thank you again, EJN63, for your conformation to my inquiry...

An additional thanks to Dell.

In spite of any major changes the computer industry has adopted for making PC's, Laptops, etc,

"Dell makes Products that won't die." (if supported)

A little background on why I'm paying too much for 53Mhz.., If you have the time...

In the early to late 90's, I drank the Kool-Aid and got into recycled PC repair projects with self taught friends that later when on to A-Plus Certs. That experience did wonders for my computer knowledge and confidence. From the ground up.

This lead to eventually building my own "state of the art" (for that time), 96'-98' Gaming Desktop. Later, I did the same thing for a few clients that like my system's physical setup and hardware preferences.

This had the unexpected effect of giving me an expectation for maxed-out system builds.

So I admit now, I have a natural (or unnatural, in some cases,) propensity to want system components able to perform at their peak system potential. This is likely do to the notion that a game or two might somehow find it's way on this M4400 I've been rattling on about.

I guess this puts me in the gaming enthusiast  "nerd zone" so to speak.  Maybe you can relate?

Before this becomes a novel,

I got the M4400 only to deal with my Dell 700m getting pummeled by the departure of XP support.

The "once protected" XP disk is now a great replacement for a coffee coaster.

A solution to an in-expensive laptop that ran a 64bit O.S. was what I set-out for. And yet., I ended up with the M4400 with Win 7 32bit. What happened? Win 32bit? I deviated from my quest and only hope it wasn't foolish. That the Gods for this machines 775pin making 64bit an option.

Maybe it was subconscious appeal with the 64bit architecture, Or at the the time,the great price point for a $150 replacement that originally when for $2200.00 in 98'. All the hardware mentioned in my initial post here was included for the price. Just for the SSD's alone,

I figured., This unit was a find for sure. "I could weather the storm" with these mandatory upgrades and internet requirements and not break the bank at the same time. Upgrading to Win 8.1 is foreseeable and already included for my O.S. when I choose, and not going to be outdated anytime soon.

However in-accurate my assumptions may be in the above., One factor that rings true...

I was the Nvidia Quadro 770m 512MB GDDR3 dedicated GPU that push me into the buy.

"A Performance Nerd" as charged. Are you asleep yet?

Peace-out my Enet Friend,

-Steve

No Events found!