Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2011 21:00

Lojack remote lock issue on inspiron 1545

I used my lojack service to put a remote lock on my inspiron 1545 instead of having it reported stolen. I was able to get my laptop back from the "friend" who was borrowing it but I'm now having trouble removing the lock. The lock is on a pending removal status through lojack and in order for the lock to be removed, the laptop needs to connect to the Internet so it may ping a call to the lojack service center. I've had the laptop hardwired into my dsl modem as well as taking it to my brothers house where he opened his wifi network for me and I still haven't been able to get it connected. Does anyone have any insight or suggestions for me to get it connected? I'm unable to see anything on the laptop beyond the full page white lock screen and therefore, can not access anything whatsoever on the laptop. Please help! Thank you!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2011 04:00

lostbun,

Did you try contacting LoJack?

http://www.lojack.com/pages/contactus.aspx

You have a login and pasword with them, so with that proof, they may be able to help you unlcok your computer.

Rick

3 Posts

September 3rd, 2011 08:00

Hi Rick -

I have contacted lojack customer service several times and I keep getting told the same thing: They can't do anything until the laptop connects with the service center by sending a ping which it should do as soon as it's connected to the Internet. Once the ping is received, the service center pings back to the laptop to unlock it.

I don't understand why the laptop isn't connected to the Internet when I have it hardwired into my dsl modem and I can't see anything at all on the screen to indicate if it's connected or not.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2011 09:00

lostbun,

NOT sure how LoJack works, so bear with me and do correct me if I'm wrong.

Restart the computer and tap F8 at startup. Hopefully this will bring up the safe mode with networking, unless LoJack stops this from happening.

If it starts, then log in. Let me know if you can get this far.

Rick

3 Posts

September 3rd, 2011 11:00

Hi Rick-

When I hit f8 to try and get in on safe mode, I get a screen titled windows resume loader saying the last attempt to resume the system failed, attemp to resume again? I get 2 choices: continue with system resume or delete restoration data and proceed to system reboot.

Choosing continue takes me back to a completely blank screen while choosing delete restoration data at least reboots windows and I can choose a user to log in as. There are 6 users including a guest log in and while I haven't tried all yet I chose 3 different ones including as a guest. Each time I try to log in, it prepares the desktop and then I get a Internet explorer manage add-ons pop up saying something about the comrade toolbar link library is not compatible with IE8. I'm given an option to check online for an update so I tried that. Then I get an IE window popping up saying "cannot display the webpage" and when I try to diagnose the problem, I get another box saying an error occured while troubleshooting. The error details state: an unexpected error has occured. The wizard can't continue

Package ID: Unknown

Path: Unknown

Error Code: 0x80070005

Source: Temporary Files

User: 1heartmindsoul/pouwowep

Context: Restricted

(Context was standard for the guest user)

So far this IEX page is my only confirmation that my laptop is not connected but I still don't know what to do.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2011 11:00

lostbun,

Click on the blue PudgyOne, then on the next page, click on send message in to upper right corner.

Rick 

No Events found!