Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 3rd, 2017 06:00

Long Life Cycle Polymer battery option

Latutude 5x80 spec sheet mention 68 WHr Long Life Cycle Polymer (Summer 2017) as one of battery options.

What is exactly Long Life here? What differentiate this battery from other 68 WHr Polymer battery?

Link to spec .pdf :

i.dell.com/.../Latitude-5x80-series-spec-sheet.pdf

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

October 12th, 2017 08:00

Hi guys,

I've made a couple of inquiries and it's just a different name for what were previously called 3 year warranty batteries:

"Battery with 3 Years Limited Hardware Warranty, designed to undergo 1000 cycles of charging/discharging without losing its capacity (maintain 75% capacity): with daily charge, that would relate approximately to 3 years of life so are often referred to as “long life cycle batteries”. These batteries use lower current to charge so it takes longer to charge them (about 3 hours with notebook off)"

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 06:00

The biggest trade-off is that the long life cycle batteries take longer to charge - they cannot be express charged.

This is what reduces stress on the battery and prolongs its lifespan.

6 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 07:00

Well, none of express charge batteries are marketed as "short-lifetime". So my guess is the difference is in chemistry or manufacturing process. But this is not my question.

What I really would like to know about Long Life is how long it is.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 08:00

I'd bet there is none.  The cells are the same -- the logic board on the battery limits the charging current, which will extend the lifespan of the battery cells.  How much longer, only Dell can tell you.  A normal notebook battery will last 18-24 months.  Perhaps these might make three years?  

6 Posts

October 6th, 2017 01:00

A normal notebook battery will last 18-24 months.  Perhaps these might make three years?

I would like more technical explanation. Battery life is measured in charge/discharge cycles. It depends on usage pattern how long it will last in time units.

How much longer, only Dell can tell you.

Good point! I hope it doesn't require Michael Dell to find this info.

Were are all those guys with DELL in nickname and #iwork4Dell tags?

6 Posts

October 12th, 2017 06:00

I would like to point out that I have checked Battery FAQ

www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln128667/laptop-battery-faq

and did not find any info about Long-Life type battery...

6 Posts

October 12th, 2017 11:00

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Thank you!

No Events found!