Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2012 10:00

Looking for Dell Webcam Central V2.x

I'm looking for a newer version of dell webcam central. The most recent versions I can find are two different versions of 1.4, neither of which will upgrade to 2.x. If you have dell webcam central V2.x on your laptop and you have the cd, please zip it up and upload it to dropbox (or wherever).

9.4K Posts

December 27th, 2012 10:00

81 Posts

December 27th, 2012 11:00

Rick posted a screen capture of "my dell downloads" for his computer. Here is a link: en.community.dell.com/.../20260573.aspx. He has a newer version, which is what I'm trying to find. It must be somewhere!

9.4K Posts

This is the latest we have at this time.  I'll contact Travis to let him know, hopefully he will respond.

Regards,

Robert

81 Posts

That post is incorrect. I explained that in a reply to that thread, but it's moderated so possibly the post hasn't shown up yet. I downloaded the software in the link and it is NOT for version 2.4, but rather for 1.40.05. I am 100% certain about this. I installed in on a fresh windows 7 installation that had no prior version of the software. I am looking for a link to version 2.x.

81 Posts

December 28th, 2012 16:00

Bump. Anyone out there who has Dell webcam central v2.x? If you need help to upload it, let me know.

81 Posts

January 3rd, 2013 21:00

@Robert, did you find anything?

January 10th, 2013 14:00

M4600 I apoligize for the delay. Here's the answer I was able to dig up.

The software, Dell Webcam Central, is actually made by Creative Labs. Since we didn't create the software it seems we arn't able to host the newest version on the regular download site. I was told that if you log into the My Dell Downloads site, and your computer is eligible for the software, that you would be able to download it from there.

I also found an on domain site that has a link to all our popular Dell owned software, as well as links to sites to download the third party software. You can find that here.

Its also important to note that the Webcam Central software is a fun tool that you can use to make funny pictures, and record short videos. Its not required to use your Dell Webcam and most of our Win7 laptops don't need a driver for the webcam as the native Win7 drivers preinstalled by Microsoft support the webcam. Some XPS models do require drivers as well as laptops that have a different OS. If you need a driver it should be able to be located on the support site.

If the My Dell Downloads site doesn't solve your problem please let me know and I'll dig deeper.

Again I apoligize for the delay, but I wanted to check with several sources in different departments to make sure I got the best answer for you.

81 Posts

January 10th, 2013 15:00

Thanks for the reply. Believe me, your reply is like deja vu all over again. If I had a dollar for every time someone from dell has told me the same info, I'd be rich. I could have written your post for you. If this is the best answer you could come up wiht from "several sources in different departments", dell is in a lot worse shape than I would have imagined.

For my computer, the software is NOT in My Dell Downloads. Here is a link to a post which shows a screen capture of My Dell Downloads: en.community.dell.com/.../20259531.aspx), in case you don't believe me. Why that is the case, you would have to ask someone in Dell. The software also is NOT on the drivers and downloads website for my service tag. I've tried to locate a current version (v2.x) from the Dell drivers and downloads website, but the only version that's there is an old version (v1.40.05, which is not being kept current) for a dell monitor. Again, why Dell is not providing a link to a current version of the Dell branded software is a question you would have to ask someone in Dell.

I, as well as many others on this forum, would like Dell to provide a link to current version of the software (v2.x), such as what the one being offered on XPS or Precision laptops. Since Dell is shipping products with a current version of the software installed, is must be somewhere. FYI, at the suggestion of Dell technical support, which also for whatever reason is not able to locate a copy of the software, I tried contacting creative labs. As you would expect, creative labs told me to pound sand.

Not trying to offend anyone, but this is sort of like the virgin birth. Maybe God puts the software on the dell laptops before they are shipped to the customers. Or maybe aliens? Or maybe Barack Obama?

Seriously, if you have an M4700 or M6700, you could do us all a favour and upload a copy of the software from C:\Program Files (x86)\Creative\Software Update\cache. I'd be happy to help you do that.

No Events found!