Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2009 13:00

Loss of internet connection

Hi,

I have a connection problem with my Vostro 1720.  Now I have to keep both physical and wireless connections on because from time to time, like right now, for no apparent reason I loose the wired connection.

At first, I thought it was the router, so I bypassed this device and connected the laptop directly into the modem. Still no internet connection, even after resetting the modem. I called the technical service of my internet supplier, I followed his instructions but we could not find the problem.

I then reconnected the router to the modem and I started my old desktop computer.  This wired internet connection worked perfectly but the one to my Vostro refused to work properly, so I activated the wireless connection and it worked without problem.

I would prefer to use the wired connection for security and speed reasons, so I would like this to work as it is supposed to.

Any clues?

Gilles Paquette

7 Posts

October 30th, 2009 15:00

More on the above message.

I let the laptop idle for a little while (about 1 hour) and on returning using it, the physical internet connection was available again.  And it still is after a couple hours.

So it seems to be an intermittent problem.

Bad driver?  Bad connector (the cable checks OK)?  Bad ethernet board?  Bad something else?

Gilles Paquette

1 Message

January 18th, 2010 16:00

Hi GdeCP,

Don't know if you resolved your problem but you say it worked after idling, it could be overheating problem. I have a Time/Mitac 6yr old now, recently bought a cooler stand because I was having all sorts of problems, yours being one. Not had a problem since.

Regards,

Kev

7 Posts

January 18th, 2010 17:00

Hi Kev,

I upgraded from Win XP to Win 7 and since then I didn't encounter that problem.  I also put two small blocs (half an inch or so) under the back corners in order to get a bit more air circulation.

Was it the upgrade or the lift?  At least it's running OK now.

GdeCP

No Events found!