Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 12th, 2015 10:00

Loud Fan Noise (Inspiron 15 5548)

For some reason, my computer frequently produces a loud fan noise when I am using it. For the majority of the time, it is silent. However, there are often times when I don't even have many webpages open but it grows louder. There are two levels of loud (the second level is so loud that it can draw attention from people sitting next to me).

This is only a 2 month old laptop, so I am unsure why it gets loud. Also, I have 12gb RAM, which adds to my confusion.

Any suggestions or reasoning? Thanks!

7 Posts

June 17th, 2015 09:00

Hello guys,

@huszak I am sure that any laptop that uses its CPU to 70-90% will most probably have some noise from the fans, since the CPU increases its temperature. So, I believe that this is something normal. Maybe the specific laptop produces some more noise than others because its lower quality fan (?)

Since, I installed BIOS A04 the problem for me it's gone. The fans are on full speed only when it is necessary. Also, I live in Athens, Greece where the temperature here at the moment is 32 degrees Celsius..which is hot.

Finally, I have to say that I am a software engineer and I am sure that I m doing a lot of heavy jobs on this laptop without any problems. Note that I m working exclusively on Linux (Ubuntu).... so, maybe you still have the problem due to some windows application (mcafee ?)

• 

3.3K Posts

April 14th, 2015 01:00

Hi mcharfi,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum.

I understand the situation. May I know if you experience the system overheating? Please clean the air vents & check if it helps. Also update BIOS & check. Click on the link below, enter the system service tag and click Submit. Select the Operating system from the drop down list to get drivers for your system model:

http://dell.to/14Xsnmd

Let me know if this helps.

7 Posts

May 11th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

I'm also facing the same problem. The laptop is two weeks old. I've already updated to bios A03 and have the latest drivers for all the devices, but it doesn't seem to help.

I'm not sure though if the fan that is working all the time is the one of the CPU or GPU.

Another weird thing is that both Windows 8 and Ubuntu state my GPU temperature to 511 Celsius, which is of course wrong.

7 Posts

May 13th, 2015 05:00

Hello huszak,

Now, that they've replaced your wifi card, is it working as expected? Any problems? Do they again installed the same ac 3160 card model?

EDIT: Regarding fans, I've observed that when the fans are running at maximum speed without any reason (temps below 45 Celsius), if I plug in the power, then the fans are stopping. Is it also happening to you guys?

thnx

28 Posts

May 13th, 2015 05:00

same Problem here, My laptop( Inspiron 15 5548) is 3 Weeks Old and having multiple issues. 

First, the Wireless card was replaced with new one as it had limited connectivity issues and now Fan is acting crazy and keeps running all the time making loud noise which is very annoying. 

It looks like Dell doesn't test the products before delivering to the customers, if it does then the standard of testing is not up to the mark and if testing is Good then the products are not up to the mark. In any of the case its the customer who at the other side taking a Beat.

But to be honest the service provided by Dell is good, they will replace the parts or get the things repaired but these things can be avoided if the product is tested rigorously before handing to the customer. Dell seriously needs to Improve  the standard of product testing .

28 Posts

May 13th, 2015 07:00

My laptop wireless card is Dual band Ac-7260, it works fine now after replacement.

I made changes on my router as well before started using it, since my router is also dual band . I created two different SSID ,one for 2.5 and one for 5.0 G band.  Because i came across the reason behind the Limited connection issue, its caused due to Ip conflict, few routers provide different IPs for 2.5 and 5.0 G band. So not sure whether the new replacement worked or the changes on the router. I was advised by Dell support analyst to get it replaced after he did troubleshooting on laptop for more than 4 hours remotely.

1 Message

May 18th, 2015 05:00

Sir, My laptop is experiencing the same problem of loud noise. I had updated the BIOS A03 version at this moment, plz help me sir!!

1 Message

May 20th, 2015 06:00

I Have the exact same problem with my Inspiron 5548, it seems the fan spins based on CPU usage instead of temperature which is VERY ANNOYING.

Please fix this!

7 Posts

May 20th, 2015 09:00

Hi Pioneer.Grace,

The heat on the right is definitely caused by the hard-disk, as it is where is located. I guess this hdd is not the best choice, but is a common option for many laptops of other brands too. But this is ok as it can be easily replaced by an ssd.

Can someone try to plug in the power cord at the time the fan is going crazy? When I m doing this the fan lowers it's speed to a normal one as the cpu is not that hot. I've tried that both on Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04.2 and has the same effect which makes me think that this is probably a BIOS issue.

thnx

1 Message

May 20th, 2015 09:00

Guys, Even I have the same problem. DELL replaced the Fan and Heat sink, still no use. The fan sound is so loud that in a closed meeting room, all look at me.

I also face heat near the palm rest on the right side. Harddisk issue is what I am told. Anyone else having the same problem.?

28 Posts

May 20th, 2015 10:00

It doesn't help either, looks like the whole inspiron 15 5548 product is a .

Dell told they can't replace the laptop if we are having the laptop in the different location than the purchased one.

about the parts replacement, they are again a . Dell is telling me they don't have availability of parts, they wil deliver it next month.

looking at the concerns above, i dont thing this ceiling fan problem will get resolved after these lazy, cheaters Dell replace the motherboard and heat sink and anything else on my   laptop.

3 Posts

May 20th, 2015 23:00

I have the same problem , my laptop's fan is way to loud and its constantly working under a low cpu load.
I have updated my BIOS version recently, I also have all of the latest drivers installed and the fan is still overworking. 

Just performed system hardware checks and everything is ok.

Can we get an answer soon?

28 Posts

May 21st, 2015 13:00

The new fan replaced is running like a ship propeller and is always running depending upon the cpu usage instead of temperature,  sometimes it even runs when there is no process running.

they said they gonna replace the motherboard, yesterday i was told the parts are not available so i have to wait till next month. They have no solution for this problem, I doubt whether the replacement of motherboard wil resolve the issue.

28 Posts

May 21st, 2015 14:00

I am trying to find out the root cause for this issue, I have noticed the cpu spike when Mcafee runs, so uninstalled the mcafee Software and updated the BIOS again , but the issue still persists.

so Mcafee Antivirus is not the issue, as told by one of the user on the post after replacing the heat sink and motherbord also the issue didnt get resolved and he was told the issue might be with the Harddisk. I have noticed that the Hard disk usage is always 80-100% , at this moment the cpu and the Fan starts going crazy.

Does anyone else notice the issue of Disk 80-100 % usage though none of the processes are running. 

7 Posts

May 22nd, 2015 09:00

I'm sure that it has nothing to do with the OS or a particular software. It's definitely something wrong with the BIOS firmware.

Regarding disk usage, I'm not experiencing heavy loads on it, but I'm running Ubuntu most of the time, so probably that's something Windows specific.

For me the fan is always on full speed when I'm on battery

No Events found!