Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 12th, 2015 10:00

Loud Fan Noise (Inspiron 15 5548)

For some reason, my computer frequently produces a loud fan noise when I am using it. For the majority of the time, it is silent. However, there are often times when I don't even have many webpages open but it grows louder. There are two levels of loud (the second level is so loud that it can draw attention from people sitting next to me).

This is only a 2 month old laptop, so I am unsure why it gets loud. Also, I have 12gb RAM, which adds to my confusion.

Any suggestions or reasoning? Thanks!

December 31st, 2015 05:00

Yep i noticed same with my inspiron 15r 5537 it seems fan is going loud on the basis of cpu usage not by sensing the actual temperature around thats stupid of dell!

i also checked the maximum voltage that goes to cpu under 100% load and it never exceeds .790 as the core i5 haswell thats been used in my system consumes very low voltage so generates very less heat its the stupid bios thats written by idiot dell coders thats messing around it wont help unless they make bios more relaxed my fan start to spin at more then 50 degree and after 60 it goes crazy!! Bios is the only thing that could help

2 Posts

April 9th, 2016 12:00

Hey, I have this same issue with my laptop. Its about 6 months old and I have cleaned out the vents and fan, still does this.  However I did pick up that if you do not screw the cover all the way, leave about 2 turns at the back of the laptop the system noise is a lot less.  The other thing  I also saw was that when the fan suddenly speeds up the fan moves up and down.  Since the fan is installed facing down when this happens it starts to touch the data ribbon and the fan casing. If Dell installed the fan the same way all other fans usually go in facing up instead of down I'm almost certain that no noise would be experienced and also the bottom cover is a bit weak so a bit of pressure where the fan will certainly make a noise. 

My cover on the inside had aluminum to help guide or protect, but it wasn't smoothed out completely.  Its like sticky tape so I must smoothed out all the lumps too.   

Leaving the screws a bit loose gives it that 1 mm it might just need to keep you calm and not chuck it out the window.  The noise is rather hectic sometimes. 

So we have a few things we can do.  If the noise is really getting to you and driving you past your limit and everyone around you, do it kamikaze style and remove the cover completely and work like that.  Grab 4 of those rubber feet from a switch to give it some height from the surface you are working on, but remember open system means open board means electricity is right there.  You can do this if you want, but meant as a joke only. 

We should remember small form means sacrificing something somewhere else. 

Good Luck Guys

RP

1 Message

May 23rd, 2016 02:00

I also have a Dell Inspiron 15 (I15-5548-B20) and it had the same problem. The fan was constantly working at high speed. It worked so much that  it end up physically damaging the fan (less than 5 months after I bought it). The on line assistance made me update the Bios and also Disable IntelSpeedStep (this lowers the performance and thus, reduces the need for the fan to kick in at higher speeds, to cool down the processor). At first I did not disable it, as this would lower the laptop performance (actually I is an absurd that they suggested this as a solution), however, the noise was increasingly louder and I had to do it. It did not solve the problem. Next I decided to uninstall the McAfee LiveSafe antivirus (activated Windows Defender instead). This helped to reduce the time in witch the fan is working, however, only a fan replacement will help. Unfortunately, I came to Germany to work and only when I get back to my country, they will do the job.

It was my first Dell, but if they do not solve this issue, it is going to be the last one!

2 Posts

May 28th, 2016 13:00

Gosh! I must be careful not to swear.  Fan is driving me nuts.  There is no space for the hot air to move away.  On a table it does the same, starts speeding up, then the noise.  I even placed a spacer between the table and the laptop, this does help, but not enough.  The actual noise it makes seems to be coming from inside the fan. This is also strange since most fans don't have contacts inside to make a noise since its magnetic.  Adding lubricant seems to help, for a day or so...

The only way I got the fan to shut up was to place another old extractor fan right below it, but then that fan drives me nuts too.  I loaded Speedfan to manually adjust the speed, this actually helps a little bit, but I don't think this is a safe way of keeping it in tune.  This way you don't need to disable speedstep and all those things.  The spacing and size of the fan is definitely the problem, Replacing the fan will only help for 5 months again, lol, that ***!!  I'm thinking about removing another fan from a old laptop that might fit, otherwise earphones will be the answer!!  The actual laptop itself is very nice, just the stupid fan issue.  Otherwise we can go the overclocking route and just add water cooling, that would be funny.

If I find a way the resolve this on my system, i'll post it for sure. 

Crazy idea, reverse the polarity on the fan, I wonder...

1 Message

July 30th, 2016 20:00

***********THE FAN ALWAYS RUNS LOUD AND AT FULL SPEED NO MATTER WHAT**********

Hello all,

i am also having this issue on my DELL Inspirion 7558 i5-8gig laptop running windows 10.

Even when plugged in and not much processes running the fan continues to blow loudly.

Also, the bios appears to be saying ..

***"Manufacturing Mode press Fn-X (level 01)"***

booted into their but that didn't do much help..

anyone have any idea?

Thanks again!

11 Posts

August 13th, 2016 19:00

I have a 5548, i7 running Win 7. The fan noise has been terrible, noisy and on much too often.  I ran all the BIOS fixes, called tech support many times. I was never happy with the hours i have invested in their product. So, I just ran a diagnostics check and downloaded a new intel video driver. After restarting, the fan has remained off for 30 minutes!  Perhaps Dell finally fixed the issue!  I hope so, I was going to change brands no matter what. Now I may consider Dell again. Over one year to get a fix and at least twelve hours of MY time still makes this computer the worst I have ever purchased.

Try the downloads, I hope it works for you also!

JohnL

6 Posts

August 27th, 2016 21:00

The only way I've found to work around this issue is to disable the AMD Radeon GPU. If you don't need it for graphics intensive application, then that's fine. The embedded GPU on the i5/i7 CPU works fine.

Go to Device Manager > Display Adapters, right click the Radeon device and disable it.

That has made the fan stay under control here. It was always spinning very fast while the CPU was barely in use. It looks like the GPU goes into a loop and heats up or maybe the cooling design is not very good for it. In any case, this GPU is so slow that it doesn't usually make a difference. I prefer to keep it turned off.

5 Posts

January 2nd, 2017 11:00

I have this same laptop and I discovered this issue is related with Windows updates where Windows is caught up in a loop looking for updates. Try one or more of the steps below to change the behavior of the Windows update services and this should resolve the issue:

1. Go into Systems Services (Start/type Manage/select Computer Management/select Services and Applications/Select Services). Select Windows Update service, Properties, then set Startup Type to "Automatic (Delayed Start)", select OK, then reboot. Wait up to 3 minutes. If the fan has stopped racing, you solved the issue.

2. If step 1 did not work on its own, keep Step 1 then go to Control Panel/Windows Update/Change Settings to "Check for Updates but let me choose when to download and install them", select OK, then reboot. Wait up to 3 minutes. If the fan has stopped racing, you solved the issue.

3. If step 2 did not work, keep step 1 then go to Control Panel/Windows Update/Change Settings to Never Check For Updates, select OK, then reboot. Wait up to 3 minutes. If the fan has stopped racing, you solved the issue.

NOTE: No matter what people tell you, or what Microsoft recommends, it is my opinion that Windows Updates DOES NOT need to be set to automatically install updates.

If you are uncomfortable changing the above mentioned settings, send me an email and I will arrange a remote login session with you to change the settings for you.

Cheers.

Don Alford

North Texas PC Rx, LLC.

www.NorthTexasPCRx.com

McKinney, Texas USA

Support@NTPCRx.com

No Events found!