Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2010 23:00

M11x Questions

1. I bought an M11x in March with the pay-by-month plan. I see you guys have just recently came out with the M11x R2. I was wondering, if I could send this M11x R1 in to you guys and get an i7 processor installed into it, then have it sent back. You'd just add the price of the i7 back onto what I'm originally paying. Is this possible?

2. The hinge for my M11x is pretty roughed up. I think it's cracked somewhere, but it's definitely got some problems with it. I'd like to know what I have to do to send the laptop in. If I have to include a note with the specific problem I have?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these. :)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 19th, 2010 04:00

1.  No way - it's not an option.  The replacement would require a completely different system board because the CPU and video chip are both soldered to the board, and it'd be breathtakingly expensive to do - probably as much or more than a new system.

2.  You need to call technical support, work with the technician,and open a case to have the work done.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 19th, 2010 11:00

Whatever you read, was incorrect.  The processor and memory are soldered onto the mainboard in these systems, as you can see from the service manual:

(notice the lack of a video card and CPU removal instructions -- because neither can be removed):

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/Alw_lp_M11x/en/SM/sysboard.htm#wp1039860

June 19th, 2010 11:00

Actually, I'm pretty sure nothing's soldered in. I read it a while ago.

June 19th, 2010 12:00

Then would I be able to just hand this one back in as a refund, and then get an M11x R2 with an i7 even if I have the pay-by-month plan?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 19th, 2010 13:00

No way on Earth.  Best you could do is sell it privately, pay off the loan and buy a new one - however, you likely owe more on it than you'll get for it if you sell it (it'll resell for well under half what a new one would cost).

The depreciation on a new computer is pretty close to 75% in the first year - you're lucky to get 25-30% of what you paid if you sell it.

No Events found!