Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

February 23rd, 2009 05:00

M1210 Does not boot.

I think my XPS M1210 just died.  I moved it to a new location and did not realize the outlet was a "switched outlet".  The cover was closed with it in "standby".  About a day later I go to use it and the battery is dead and it does not power up.  I charged the battery and provided power to the adapter.  When I turn it on now The power light comes on, the HD indicator flashes once and the DVD drives spins up. The Media buttons on the front remain dark, the keyboard indicators never flash. The display does not light up and displays nothing(Checked with a flashlight).  No Beeps.

I swapped out the hard drive, reseated the memory, removed the battery and powersupply and let it set.  No change.   Any suggestion before I look into a new Motherboard?   Any way to check if it is the processor, not the MB?  Is the display board part of the MB?  (I see several M1210s with display problems available)

Thanks

Jeff

3.6K Posts

February 23rd, 2009 05:00

First remove the Memory,HDD,optical drive,and battery.Once this is done hold down the power button and the fn key for 10 seconds,if you see the LED's across top of laptop,CAPS,NUM,etc..(exception of the Bluetooth LED) lit solid green,then yes the MOBO needs to be replaced.

February 26th, 2009 07:00

I removed the HD, DVD, both memory chips, and the battery.  I connected the power supply (I have verified its output and also used another supply).  When I held the Fn and power button.  The NUM LCK came on solid green, but the CAP LCK and the LCK lights were flashing.   Does this have a different meaning?

Thanks

Jeff Watson

1.6K Posts

February 26th, 2009 08:00

It means that at least the mainboard is faulty.

3.6K Posts

February 26th, 2009 12:00

as husky0894 replied,at least the MOBO is bad.That is where you will have to start,since the GPU is soldered to the MOBO you at least get the same video back you had.

1 Message

March 13th, 2009 15:00

The M1210 suffers from the same Nvidia die package problem as a lot of other Dell laptops, although dell will not admit it.  Dell will not fix the problem for you unless you follow the steps that I have outlined here:  http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=4611553#post4611553

1 Message

March 15th, 2009 23:00

I'm having similar problems... my num lock flashes but the caps lock and scroll lock are solid...

Is there some page that describes what the various combinations mean on a power on while holding the Fn key?

No Events found!