Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 6th, 2009 12:00

M1330 Sound Woes...

Hello,

Done a ton of searches looking for fixes for my m1330 audio problems, and nothing yet...

Basically, 2 weeks ago, the sound on my m1330 stopped working almost entirely. I'm getting nothing from the internal speakers, nothing from the headphone jacks, and nothing from external speakers, either. Diagnostics seems to indicate the sound should be working fine, though.

However, what's interesting is that my HDMI-output sound works 100% perfectly. When I plug my computer into an HDMI device like an HD TV, the sound is perfect (i.e. it comes out of the HD TV speakers, of course, not from may laptop). In addition, when I plug it into an HDMI device, I don't have to toggle any sound set-up to make the sound go to the HDMI advice... the sound comes out automatically, which makes me wonder if somehow my laptop is "stuck" on the HDMI output and only sending sound information to HDMI? In the past, I have had to go to control panel and toggle to HDMI device in order to get the HDMI sound working. Now it does it automatically (and also, my sound control panel module looks different than it used to, see screen shots below).

Here what I have tried:

1. System restore (no luck).

2. Download new and old drivers. This doesn't work. Whenever I try to install the Sigmatel drivers, I get an error message that says: "ExitError:Error=Device Object not present, restart the system and run setup again." I've seen a few people with this problem online, and I see no fixes out there. When I restart the computer, the Windows Vista sound driver installs itself, and that's that. I have a feeling, perhaps wrong, that if I could get the Sigmatel driver to install that it might fix the problem, but who knows. I've tried tons of variations of new driver fixes, from just downloading and running from dell.com, to going directly into the device manager and trying to update from there, to deleting the driver in the device manager and letting it reinstall on start-up, etc., etc... no permutation has helped.

In control panel, sound looks like this:

In the device manager, this is what I'm seeing:

and:

... again, it kinda seems like my computer is only supporting the HDMI audio output? And, like I said, I can't get the Sigmatel drivers from Dell.com to install.

And I don't really want to reformat my computer : /

Any ideas would be helpful, thank you!

14.4K Posts

September 6th, 2009 12:00

Your speaker selection is set to the digital out. Are your speakers Digital? IF not you need set the top listing as the default

9 Posts

September 6th, 2009 16:00

Thanks; unfortunately, yes I did.. and I just tried again, and safe mode doesn't seem to help.

Unfortunately, I also get the message: "ExitError:Error=Device Object not present, restart the system and run setup again" every time. The message pops up after I run the driver set up, click "next," and it says it is then installing.. 8 seconds in, I get that error message, and the install stops. This happens for all 3 drivers (newest to oldest) that are on Dell's M1330 driver Web site... so in other words, none of the Sigmatel drivers are installing, and every one results in that same error message in normal boot and in safe mode.

9 Posts

Thank you so much for the reply!

Unfortunately, I can't set the top device as the default... in the picture above, note how it says "not plugged in." Also, when I do right click on it, the option to add it as the default device is grayed out and as such I can't set it as the default device (probably because it thinks it's not attached?)

Also, the weird thing is, if you look at the control panel picture again, every device, including the top one, says "High Definition Audio Device" ... but I don't think my M1330 speakers and headphones are high definition, are they? And, anyway, like I said, they aren't working at all.

14.4K Posts

Have you tried installing the Sigmatel drive while in Safe Mode

14.4K Posts

September 6th, 2009 17:00

Check the bios settings? Just thowing thoughts out.

Have you recently installed any dvd software?

9 Posts

September 6th, 2009 22:00

Hi, thanks for throwing out the thoughts, I appreciate it. I haven't installed any software lately really. I had flashed the new A15 BIOS, and your post made me think that could possibly have correlated with the problem... just for the heck of it, I flashed down to A14, and that didn't fix anything and I continue to get the error when trying to install the Sigmatel driver.

9 Posts

September 8th, 2009 20:00

Any other possibilities out there? Would love to have sound working on my laptop.

Thanks again.

3 Posts

September 9th, 2009 16:00

Hi mate, i have had the same problem and solved it today.

1)Download the Sigma driver and have it ready on your desktop

2) Go into the Control Panel > device manager > sound > click on the windows high def sound driver that is there, right click, uninstall driver .

3) the second its done start the install for the Sigma driver - it should complete as the microsoft driver was blocking it before, then restart when complete and you're away pal!

Let me know how you get on bud

9 Posts

September 10th, 2009 20:00

Thanks for the idea.. unfortunately that didn't work either, and I have tried tons and tons of permutations of installing, uninstalling, updating drivers, etc., etc. Nothing has worked, and I continue to get that same error message.

Chatted with Dell, they want to either replace the motherboard or have me reinstall Vista. Dell has already replaced my M1330 motherboard twice due to the faulty video chip issue, and I'd rather not deal with that again!

Any other ideas for how I might be able to fix this without a huge repair/formatting computer?

3 Posts

October 12th, 2009 14:00

read my post above, that will solve your issue

4 Posts

October 12th, 2009 14:00

Did you get the sound to work???? I am facing the same problem right now. The associates from Dell want to replace my motherboard too. I'm in a business trip and have to travel frequently. If you got back your sound even by formatting do let us know. I did try using the factory image but no sound :emotion-6:. Thanks

4 Posts

October 12th, 2009 16:00

Thanks mate but it did not work. The latest driver from dell still gives the same error message. Older driver installs and asks to reboot saying "successfully installed reboot computer" After rebooting there is again a Red X on the speaker icon. I tried one other driver from sigmatel itself. It installed pretty good but again no sound. When I go to Control panel> Sound the speakers and headphones still shows not plugged in. When I click the sigmatel button ( installed using old driver.....this too doesn't work but installs don't know how)  it shows a advanced tab.

I found this " http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19248425/19395727.aspx" and tried that too but still the problem persists. Any help would be really appreciated thanks again.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 12th, 2009 20:00

Factory Image Restore is an excellent diagnostic tool. The fact that you used it and still get no audio means there is a hardware problem that cannot be resolved through drivers etc. Good idea to let Dell replace the motherboard.

9 Posts

October 12th, 2009 22:00

Hi there, unfortunately I have not gotten my sound to work... .so ridiculous, right?

I've been sitting around without sound for like over a month or something.

Dell has already replaced 2 motherboards in my M1330, and I'm really tired of it. Debating whether to get it fixed again or just buy a different computer sometime soon. Getting to be that time anyway.

So yeah, my guess is we need a pretty serious fix -- motherboard and/or reinstall Windows. Doesn't appear that anything else is doing the trick. Good luck with it, and please share updates here. I'll do the same!

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 13th, 2009 08:00

So yeah, my guess is we need a pretty serious fix -- motherboard and/or reinstall Windows.

cbz2298 wrote that he or she used "the factory image".  If that meant Factory Image Restore, that is the gold standard in software solutions. It restores Vista, the drivers and all of the configurations to the exact state they were in when the computer was built, so anything that does not now work that did originally work is due to a hardware problem. There is no question  of which driver to install or if another driver is "blocking" it or if the drivers were installed in the correct order, etc. That is why I said that Factory Image Restore is an excellent diagnostic tool. It leaves no doubt whether there is a software or hardware problem, as long as the user knows for sure that the problem did not exist when the computer was new.

In your case  the Dell Diagnostics audio tests should be sufficient to narrow it down to hardware or software. In your initial post in this thread you wrote, "Diagnostics seems to indicate the sound should be working fine, though."  Did you use Dell Diagnostics? Because if you used the PSA diagnostcs and heard the system sounds, that is not a sufficient test. Your symptoms could indicate a hardware failure, because even though the Sigmatel driver will not load, still the Intel HD audio driver in Vista should load by default and produce sound. What you are seeing in the Device Manager seems to be the "High Definition Audio Device" on the HD audio bus that is an audio driver that resides within the graphics card, not the Intel HD audio driver. (The audio protocol on the motherboard is "HD" so all audio ends up with "HD audio" in the name, making it confusing to know which is which.) If so, that would sort of explain why you can get HDMI audio.

If you did use and passed Dell Diagnostics audio tests then the problem should be in the software. I wonder if it could be in Vista since the Intel driver is not loading. Another thing that can mess up the audio is the modem. If it is turned off in the BIOS sometimes the system will not "see" the audio hardware and give the kind of error messages you get. But I think the M1330 has an external modem so I am not sure if its BIOS even has a modem setting, but as you said you updated and then reverted to the older BIOS, it might not hurt to check.

No Events found!