Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2010 12:00

M1330 XPS GPU Nvidia problem - Dell support giving me hard time.

I was a proud owner of M1330 however in the past months it developed a dim line at the top of the led screen which I didn't know it was related to the video card. I knew about the GPU problem and has kept the system up to date with the bios update dell recommended A12 to reduce the chances of the problem occurring. The problem is that this has delayed the problem from developing earlier and in fact it came out just 1month and a half after the extended warranty period. Dell support and out of warranty have not been helpful at all. I explained the problem and that I have followed dell's recommendations to update bios however they are saying that I need to pay for the replacement parts. This is really unfair and I feel cheated by dell after all the good recommendations I've made about dell to my friends.

I want dell to fix this problem. It is a known manufacturing defect and Dell should be liable especially when I have followed their recommendations that delayed the problem. Someone please answer me!

6 Posts

June 28th, 2010 13:00

U didn't even mention that dell do not provide adequate cooling issues so yes they are responsible. Had I not upgraded the Bios, the problem would have been out earlier. I am still expecting dell to resolve.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 28th, 2010 13:00

Dell's BIOS change was at the request of nVidia - if you're more than a year out of warranty, you're out of luck - this problem has cost both nVidia and all the OEMs dearly - I doubt whether they'll consider a gratis repair.

If you decide to pay for the replacement of the mainboard yourself, GET THE INTEL VERSION - NOT the nVidia one.  There is no firm evidence nVidia ever really fixed the GPUs - and there are those who believe the problem was in fact impossible to fix, so another board with another nvidia GPU will likely fail.

6 Posts

June 28th, 2010 14:00

read many cases where dell resolved the issue and provided parts

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 28th, 2010 14:00

That's your (biased, aggrieved) opinion - but it's not fact.

I wouldn't expect Dell to resolve this - you are out of the extended warranty. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 28th, 2010 15:00

Have you attached an external monitor to verify that the line appears on it?  If it does not, then it's a panel problem- not a video chip problem.

I've never seen a single-line fault caused by a video failure - it is usually a panel problem.

6 Posts

Exrtended warranty ended 1 and a half months ago and the problem started months ago with a gray line on top of the led screen. didn't know it was related.

Hi,

When has the warranty ended and when did the problem occur?

Thanks and regards,

Singh

6 Posts

June 29th, 2010 01:00

Hi,

the problem is that my normal guarantee ended 1 year 1 month ago. And the extended warranty of the gpu ended 1 month ago. So they are trying to get out of it and get me to pay lots of money to fix this issue

Thanks for the information. Dell has to replace the motherboard post 1 year from the time when your extended warranty was ended if this is an issue with the NVIDIA GPU failure That's the standard process they have been following. Just call Technical support and tell them about this.

Thanks and regards,

Singh

Give me your service tag, and let me see what can be done. Allow me 24 hours.

Thanks

Singh

6 Posts

June 29th, 2010 02:00

I sent you the information in a private msg. Thanks

June 29th, 2010 06:00

Hello Mr. Sing,

I am Vimal from India. I am also facing the same problem with my Dell M1330. On contacting them they are asking to renew extended warrenty by paying Rs. 22000/- and they will replace the mother board. My service tag No. is <ADMIN NOTE : Service tag removed per privacy policy >. Can you please check the warrenty status and help me out of this mess.

Thanks

Vimal

1 Message

September 3rd, 2010 08:00

Hi! I'm Valerio, an italian guy who had the same your problem with the Nvidia GPU of the dell laptop (i have an XPS M1330). My extended warranty expired one month ago and Dell doesn't want to replace the motherboard and the GPU without paying. They told me that I need to pay 400 euros for the replacement.

I read this post in which someone tried to help you with the replacement of your laptop motherboard. Did this person help you?

Valerio Mezzapesa

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 31st, 2010 13:00

You can have the mainboard replaced at the shop of your choice - but since you'll be paying for  the repair yourself, I would strongly suggest you purchase the Intel video board (you'll need a heatsink for it as well, as the nVidia model will not fit) - NOT another nVidia board.

If you want  a repair estimate, Dell usually has an out-of-warranty number you can call - there is a charge for the call and the estimate, which they'll apply to the repair cost if you authorize the repair.

2 Posts

December 31st, 2010 13:00

Singh,

I have the exact same issue: M1330 out of warranty and beyond the one year extension. Phone and chat support have shut me down!! I need some help with this. Can you assist me?? Tag # <ADMIN NOTE:Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Francis...

No Events found!