DavidM88
1 Nickel

M18X R2 Service tag wrong country.

Bought my laptop back in 2015, worked fine when connected to Dells website, detected my service tag and updated the configuration to show windows 8.1. 

Now 2017 I reinstall windows 7 as Windows 8.1 and 10 just ***, constant driver issues so back to 7 i went. However no when I user Dell detect to get the drivers and diagnose my laptop the website keeps changing to German and It will not change back to English.

No idea why but Dell is somehow convinced my service tag is from Germany even saying my laptop came with the German keyboard ( It didn't) I even have the receipt from the original owner..bought in the UK.

So right now I can't even go to Dells website with my actual account since as soon as I log in it sticks to German. Also dell wont update the configuration to show windows 7    

What can I do ? I cant contact dell as all support is in German, change it to English and my service tag doesn't exist.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
9 Rhodium

RE: M18X R2 Service tag wrong country.

If you purchased the system from a third party, ask them -- sounds like the system was purchased in another country.  Only the person from whom you purchased the system can explain.

You do not need the service tag to locate the drivers though - you can get them in English here:

www.dell.com/.../drivers

0 Kudos
DavidM88
1 Nickel

The person I bought it from is a friend of mine, and as I said in my first post I even have the receipt from when he bought it brand me in the UK dated 21/06/2012 which is the same as what Dell says but in Germany which is why we are both confused.

I know I don't need the service tag to find the drivers, but I also use the diagnostic tool as this laptop has played up in the past but now I can't. I can start the scan in English via the website or use the support program but the results always change into German so if there is a problem I can't tell.

0 Kudos
9 Rhodium

Do the Dell diagnostics (F12 at powerup) work correctly?

0 Kudos
DavidM88
1 Nickel

Yes the Dell Diagnostics works, currently running it and so far it is all green across the board.

I just wish I knew what is going, how can a laptop bought new in the UK with me being the second owner has a service tag connecting it to Germany ?

0 Kudos