D1815
1 Copper

M3800 USB problems

Jump to solution
Hi, I have a M3800 laptop which is having USB problems. USB devices suddenly stop showing and even a reboot doesn't always fix it. The devices can't be seen by Windows Explorer but can be seen in Device Manager?? I have tried updating drivers and also uninstalling the USB 3 hub but that crashes the laptop and it sits at Shutdown for ever until I have to press and hold power button. Anyone else having this issue or an idea what it could be?? Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Blandstein
1 Copper

RE: M3800 USB problems

Jump to solution

Hello All,

I received a hotfix from Dell Pro-support that fixed the USB issue on my
machine

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2895729

PLEASE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.  Back up your computer, etc.   Apparently this
is in the developmental stage and is not fully sanctioned by Dell.

42 Replies
Highlighted
neversat
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi, I’m sorry I don’t have a fix, but I am having similar issues with USB and the M3800. I am an IT guy at a small company. We only have three of these systems so far, but I have seen the problem on two of the three systems. When the system boots, sometimes no USB devices work. Rebooting the system has (temporarily) fixed the issue for us every time. I was skeptical when one of our engineers reported this, but I have seen it with my own eyes on both systems. I have not had a chance to do much troubleshooting yet because the users are too busy to give me time with their devices. The systems were started from a powered-off state (not waking up from sleep or resuming from hibernation). Both systems are running the latest BIOS (A03). I have recommended that my company stop purchasing these units until the problem is identified and fixed. 

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
D1815
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Hi Neversat, Hopefully finally fixed it. Set Power Plan to a different one, and disabled USB Selective Suspend in the Power Plan Advanced Settings. Then unticked all the Power Management options for all USB Root Hubs through Device Manager. Rebooted then changed any Power Plan options to what I wanted. Seems to have done the trick. Think it was the Power Plan corrupt or the USB Power Management settings. Taking the power management options of of each Hub, reconnected the USB device. Funny thing was, I plugged in the power supply lead and one and only one of the USB ports lost its connection? Oh well, fixed now I think
0 Kudos
neversat
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Many thanks for your reply, D1815!  I have disabled the USB Selective Suspend in the Advanced Power Options as first step. I'll check in with the end user in a couple days to see if this fixed the issue and report back. I really appreciate people like you who solve their own problem, then take the time to update their post to help other people out. Thank you!

0 Kudos
jstcbsams
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello, we are also having issues with the M3800 and it looks to be something to do with the USB hub version or power settings.  The PC frequently looses touch screen function and has BSOD after having 143+ Window updates installed.  We do not see this issue on PCs that have not had windows updates.  Can you list any Win7 SP1 updates that change the USB hub versions or power setting and would cause BSOD upon shut and reboot?????  Please help!!

0 Kudos
neversat
1 Copper

Jump to solution

It's been a week since I disabled USB Selective Suspend in the Advanced Power Options and this issue has not reoccurred. We are running Windows 7 64-bit.

0 Kudos
D1815
1 Copper

Jump to solution
It's been ok until now...it's happened again! Will check on Power options again. One for Dell I think, can't just be us having this issue?
0 Kudos
neversat
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yeah, we are experiencing this issue again, so disabling USB Selective Suspend in the Advanced Power Option did NOT fix the issue for us and I continue to recommend against buying the M3800 until this issue is solved.

0 Kudos
marshellyang
1 Copper

Jump to solution
I am suffering from this issue as well. Hopefully Dell Tehc support could provide some solutions to it. Another interesting thing along with the malfunction of USB is the sound will be dragging when the USB does not work well. I am not sure if thses 2 things corelates
0 Kudos
D1815
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Hi marshellyang, That's a few of us now. Also noticed some other net posts about the XPS15 which the M3800 is based on. Faulty power connection to USB ports maybe? Anyway, I am going to call Dell Tech Support tomorrow. I am actually an IT guy as well so it is a client laptop. Need a fix for such an expensive machine. Does Dell Tech monitor these forums?
0 Kudos